FAILOVER error and Vertex processing

jimmymac

Reputable Poster
We are using Vertex, and OneWorld Xe SP23 on an ISeries running V5R4. We recently moved our QA environment to a new ISeries box. Part of our testing was to make sure our Vertex install piece still worked. We are on OW XE and running fat clients. Basically, to test, you run an interactive app P73GEO, which takes a city, county, state, zip and it will return a Geocode value if OneWorld is talking to Vertex correctly. After the new QA environment came up last week, we tested and the Vertex link worked. Testing periodically since then, and its worked consistently. However, today, 10/15, I ran the test and it failed. The app did not return a geocode. Looking in the JDE.LOG and it seemed to show the problem.

For the link to Vertex to work, several specific business functions must be mapped to run on the server. They are and have been. The error in the jde.log however, shows that there was a problem connecting to MARQ (our QA ISeries), then the message that a FAILOVER had occurred and all business functions will run locally. That is the reason the interactive Vertex test failed, these functions must run on the server. So what I am looking for are reasons fort his failure to connect to the server and the resulting FAILOVER. It has us puzzled and any suggestions would be appreciated.

The log entries are below.

2760/1544 Fri Oct 16 11:48:02 2009 jdekinit.c687
KNT0000032 - InitEnv on server MARQ failed

2760/1544 Fri Oct 16 11:48:02 2009 JDEOBJ.C2099
COB0000069 - jdeGetRemoteMsgHandle failed for MARQ

2760/1544 Fri Oct 16 11:48:02 2009 jdekinit.c687
KNT0000032 - InitEnv on server MARQ failed

2760/1544 Fri Oct 16 11:48:02 2009 JDEOBJ.C575
COB0005000 - FAILOVER! All BSFNs mapped to MARQ will now run on the LOCAL machine.

Problem resolved. One of the Oracle recommended actions on a similar issue was the start/restart JDE services on the server. THis was done as part of another issue this weekend. This morning, the problem is resolved. This is a new QA server where a lot of changes / tweeks have been being made. SO apparently the restart corrected whatever was the basic problem.

We are still having major issues with Vertex. I like to call them disconnects.

We are on an iseries, E8.10 vertex version 3.3.14 on the iseries. Ttools release 8.96.4.0. All these release levels are suppose to be certified and should work perfectly.

I would not call this setup perfect or stable. We have applied all the SARs and this has never been perfect. I will say when running UBE's on the server everything is always fine. But when you run online invoicing and the system gets dis-connected in the middle of the day your sunk. Since we cannot restart services in the middle of the day.

We are still waiting for a real fix from Oracle/Vertex. I think the entire vertex interface is too complicated. You have to call like 3 business functions just to get the tax rate on one line.

In the mean time we are restarting services every night around 2:00am. In the past we never really restarted services.

Rob

Back