F0901 Level of Detail Documents?

DBohner-(db)

Legendary Poster
I'm reviewing a client's F0901 Level of Detail - and the accounting structure skips the Level of Detail all over the place.

As a result, LOD Financial Roll-Ups are about as dysfunctional as a Developer reviewing the Financial System.

My understanding is that the LOD rolls up by:
CO | MCU | OBJ | SUB | LOD - and that the LOD Rolls up to the SUB, OBJ with the previous 'non-skipping' LOD in the sequence. If the Sequence is Broken - then the LOD does not roll-up beyond the break in the sequence.

I'm wondering if someone has a decent document explaining Financial Level of Detail - and could forward.

(db)

Skipping LOD is fine as long as there is consistency for reporting and inquiry purposes. The GL manual explains this in detail.

I have seen the F0901 setup incorrectly to the point that almost all reports are custom.

The level of detail is tied into object and subsidiary only. It is used to define the hierarchy and permit rollups. Company is not required which permits running consolidated financial statements. The following is from the General Accounting 9.0 Implementation Guide. [ QUOTE ]
Financial reports are designed to print in this sequence:
• Company
• Object account
• Subsidiary
If you do not use company as your first sequence, the system uses the information for company 00000 to
determine the financial reporting date.

You must always use a sequence by object account and subsidiary to protect the integrity of your data and to
ensure that the level-of-detail subtotals are accurate. To print a report across many business units or companies,
use a sequence by object account and subsidiary only.

The data sequence item that immediately precedes the object account determines page breaks and totals for all
financial reports. For example, if the data sequence is by company, object account, and subsidiary, page breaks
and totals occur when the company number changes. If the object account is the first data sequence item,
the report has no page breaks and totals appear at the end of the report.

You can change the subtotals by changing the sequence and level breaks. For example, you could create
subtotals by specifying category codes for level breaks.

[/ QUOTE ] I believe that for job cost reports you can sequence by subsidiary and object and not break the level of detail.

I have heard for the last 22 years that levels of detail should not be skipped. The following is from the Financial Management Application Fundamentals 9.0 Implementation Guide [ QUOTE ]
Account Level of Detail
Enter a number used to summarize and classify accounts in the GL. Level 9 is the most detailed and Level 1 is the least detailed. Levels 1 and 2 are reserved for company and business unit totals. Levels 8 and 9 are reserved for posting accounts in the Job Cost system. Examples of the other levels are:
3: Assets, Liabilities, Revenues, Expenses.
4: Current Assets, Fixed Assets, Current Liabilities, and so on.
5: Cash, Accounts Receivable, Inventories, Salaries, and so on.
6: Petty Cash, Cash in Banks, Trade Accounts Receivable, and so on.
7: Petty Cash - Corporate, Petty Cash - Branch, and so on.

Do not skip levels of detail when you assign a level of detail to an account. Nonsequential levels of detail cause summarization errors in financial reports.

[/ QUOTE ]I think I can come up with an example. Send me a private message if you are interested.

I am in agreement with Brad on the COA level of detail. I am in the middle of an effort to fix a customer's chart of accounts (COA) where no attention was paid to LOD and the resulting financial structure is a train wreck. The customer has had to rely on totally custom reports to overcome the wreck in their COA.

OK - so a site has a vastly broken LOD... Lots of skipping.

What is the best means to resolve the issue? Just create new Non-Posting accounts between the skips (providing the upper LOD is Non-Posting) or....

I'm looking for a solution to a skipping LOD issue.

(db)

I regret to inform you that you will probably have to look at each missing level individually. If the levels are set correctly to display the account where the client wants, then you need to add the missing level as non-posting. You may run into some situations where the lower level account should actually be a higher level. In that case, you need to change the level of detail to eliminate the gap.

If the client has a model chart of accounts, you can correct the model and then use R09815 (Change Account Information Program) to correct the non-model accounts. This program has prcessing options so you can choose to update only the level of detail field. It also has a processing option to run in proof or final mode.

Back