Exporting from AS/400 flat file in E1 to another server? How to

lejyoner33

Hi, am trying to send a flat file from through E1 program to an NT Server and also trying to send another flat file from E1 to the IFS. On AS/400 V5R3 with 8.11 SP1 8.95_N1. Creating a string text file, trying to pass it to the path. I know each server has a different path with the "/"'s and the "\"'s, that hasn't seemed to matter, still not working but ideas with that would be helpful also. Also want it to be readible, no weird characters from unicode. All replies will be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Hi,

You can use FTP to send files from AS/400 to Windows NT
and viceversa.

We have already tried using FTP, it sends unicode characters in the files in the download to the NT server. Thank you for your response. Do you have a way to FTP it and have it send in text format with no unicode data in any of the fields? The numeric fields are fine of course.. My partner (from initial post) has set up the E1 code & files. I created a CL program to automatically send the files from the AS/400 to the remote server & that's when we got the junk data in the character fields. The AS/400 has a CCSID set of 65535, the E1 files have a CCSID set of 13488 (unicode). I can't change the AS/400, any other ideas anyone? Thank you,

Hi,

The problem is that your textfile is already in Unicode
format before you send it to the NT Box.
Please, check application P93081... you can configure
under which format you want JDE to create your text files.
You'll find UTF (Unicode), CP1252 (OK for most Windows
ASCII servers), etc.

Hmmm ... Not sure if you've tried this already. What I generally do is
create a DB on any MSSQL server for this kind of conversion. At a high
level the steps would be as follows ( going to assume you know how to
use MSSQL and create ODBC links )..
- Create an ODBC link on the MSSQL server to the AS400 - Make sure that
the correct version of IBM client Access client is installed on the
server (check CCSID when creating ODBC link)
- Create a DB ( call it CONVERSION for name sake )
- Import file AS/400 onto your MSSQL server using DTS. Now your data has
been converted from EBCIDIC (AS/400) to ASCII just by doing this
- On your MSSQL create a package within the Data Transformation tool to
convert the data in the imported file to a flat text file.
- Once in a text format you can FTP the file

This process can be used in reverse too with some minor tweaks.

Good luck

JL

If you are in a JDE app that can execute a business function there is a JDE Business function to write a text string to a text file. This works well if your app is running on a windows client (make sure the bf is OCM mapped to run on th client) and the path you pass to the BF is a windows type path,e.g. C:\Folder\File.txt .

If you are trying to write a file conversion UBE, you can add this as a line in the event rules in the file conversion UBE at the output event (I forget exactly which event it is).

Another alternative if the table already exists is to use Clent Access file transfer to send the data. That method takes human intervention though, which you may be trying to avoid.

Another method if you have SQL Server running on the NT side is to write a DTS transfer package using an ODBC connection from SQL Server to the 400. This works well going from the 400 to SQL side. It gets kind of ugly going from the SQL side back to the 400. Possible, but ugly.

Hope this helps.

What I realy wanna know is, "what BSFN can i use within E1 to specify the path that i am trying to write this string to on AS/400?"

The one that i used, ExporttoFlatFile (B0500025) writes smoothly to the specified IFC location (\\10.2.1111\Import\etc...) when i run this UBE locally. The problem has been running this on AS/400. I could not get it to write to the same specified IFC location. This is why i took a different route to write this string to a table, then FTP it to the IFC.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for responses guys. Keep 'em coming..
smile.gif

Back