Export entire code base

seid199

Does anyone know if there is a command line tool to export the entire code base in E1?

I am writing a script that needs to pull the entire code base from our Dev/QA environment. I know Object Browser does something similar however it crashes after a few minutes.

We have a few such tools, but as Larry mentioned, it would largely depend on what it's for and how you intend to use it afterwards...

Having a history by versioning our changes every time they are made.

In Object broswer, I can export the project. However, this would involve manual intervention. Instead my desired solution would be a script would call some command line tool to export the code base and drops it in some file and then it will push it to a version control tool.

Or even a file path to where a staging directory is would be awesome too before projects are moved to production.

Object Browser does have a command line option, run it from a command line with -h to get the list of options. I heard from one user who hooked it up to OMW and exported each object as it was checked in. Then merged with a versioning system as you described.

Craig

Object Browser does have a command line option, run it from a command line with -h to get the list of options. I heard from one user who hooked it up to OMW and exported each object as it was checked in. Then merged with a versioning system as you described.

Craig

Thats an interesting concept. I have always toyed with that idea for some time especially since OMW "Version Control" really doesn't have previous versions of code. Or at least it didn't used to. My understanding is that the newer Tools Releases have this ability. I have run a POC with C BSFNs for some time now using Git but had never moved beyond C source to the serialized objects.

Thats an interesting concept. I have always toyed with that idea for some time especially since OMW "Version Control" really doesn't have previous versions of code. Or at least it didn't used to. My understanding is that the newer Tools Releases have this ability. I have run a POC with C BSFNs for some time now using Git but had never moved beyond C source to the serialized objects.

Exactly what we are trying to accomplish, exporting the changed objects into a staging folder and my script would run and push into our git repository.

Craig

Craig,

I was able to run Object Browser via the cmd line, just a question how did the user setup his omw to export objects upon check in? That sounds amazing, then we can create this for all the developers and commit our changes more frequently and get a better history of changes.

Also for anyone who is wondering how to access Object Browser via the cmd line, navigate to the install directory or create a path code so you can access it whenever.
picqwefsa.jpg

AFAIK he modified OMW to call OB at time of check-in passing parms for object, destination folder etc. To Brian's point, latest JDE does store a zipped object version at check-in, but I don't think that would work in a version control, source based system. I suppose the OB code for exporting objects could be moved to a JDE BSFN so it could be called directly.

To Brian's point, latest JDE does store a zipped object version at check-in, but I don't think that would work in a version control.

This may be getting a little off topic, but does it (latest tools release) store multiple versions of the object, i.e. one for every check-in so that I could go and pull the version of the object from any past check-in? That was the thing I miss the most about OMW over a real VCS - version history (along with checkin comments, lables, etc.). With OMW when I make a change to code I occasionally feel compelled to comment out old code and replace with new so I can see what changed or revert back in the case of a regression.

Of course it would also be nice to have the branching and merging of Git but... I would just be happy to be able to pull old versions of an object.

Back