ESU Special Instructions Flag

jdel6654

VIP Member
Does anyone know of a quick and easy way to determine if an ESU has manual Special Instructions?

I just got thru doing a fix current ESU installation and I don't want to go thru 2000+ html files looking for Special Instructions.

You might want to check out Oracle Doc. # 644045.1 which discusses several means of getting Special Instructions for batches of ESU's.

I actually did try doing that with Change Assistant but it just spit out the ESU actions and did not show the Special Instructions. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

I was hoping I could just query the ESU tables and look at a flag.

I don't mind sharing my method as long as no one laughs........

1. Just put *.HTM files for the ESUs in one folder

2. Use Notepad++ or Textpad (Windows search sucks) and just look for any ESU that contains '======'. This means that the ESU has a special instruction.

3. All the text search apps will give you a list of the files that match a search criteria. Grab that list and clean it up.

4. Write a batch file that takes the list of ESU files that has special instructions and copy them to another location 'B'.

5. From location 'B' filter the ESU's by 'Non-Applicable', 'Localization',' One Time', 'Repeat', and ' UNKNOWN.

Just run through your nicely filtered list.

A more sophisticated developer or someone who has more time than me would write a quick C or Java program to do this.

But alas it's worked for me for 15+ year.

Colin

Thanks Colin. I now feel vindicated that I was not asking a stupid question. I've been doing this for more than 15 years. I had to really stretch mentally to think of a better way. You nailed it.

Its pretty sad that after 18+ years of E1 and the relative importance of SI's, that JDE-Oracle hasn't provided a more effective tool for this.

I'd write a tool myself but by the time I did the man from Down Under would probably have one....

Back