Erp8 Grp vs 9.1 Role security Question

bradbeckett1

I’m at the start of an upgrade of our Erp 8.0 to 9.1

I have a specific issue with security and don’t know if roles can solve my issue or not, I’m still trying to wrap my head around the mutli roles vs singular group.

Setup:
ARGroup is setup with application security only, no company or mcu row security.

JobCostGrp is setup with application and row security on company and mcu. All row security is exclusive, this is a carry over upgrade that started as a world 5.x system setup way before my time.

We have almost NO security at the user level, everything is handled at the group level in 8.0

Works great until I have a user that needs to work split jobs, IE 3 days in AR and 2 days a week in JobCost. Currently in 8.0 I have to issue the user 2 user names, which means they have to track 2 JDE passwords plus a windows password.

In 9.1, can I give a single user name 2 roles then restrict access to the “*All” role login for the user so they have to pick a role? If so can I apply security like it was 2 different user names, IE they only get ARGroup Security when they log into that role?

If the above doesn’t work:
Can I link 2 different JDE usernames to a single Windows Username via SSO, IE JDoeAR and JDoeJC both link to Windows User JDoe, thus limiting the user to having to remember only 1 password?

TIA

[ QUOTE ]

Option 1

In 9.1, can I give a single user name 2 roles then restrict access to the “*All” role login for the user so they have to pick a role? If so can I apply security like it was 2 different user names, IE they only get ARGroup Security when they log into that role?

Option 2

If the above doesn’t work:
Can I link 2 different JDE usernames to a single Windows Username via SSO, IE JDoeAR and JDoeJC both link to Windows User JDoe, thus limiting the user to having to remember only 1 password?

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the upgrade journey. There are some significant improvements with JDE 9.1.

To praphrase your questions, yes, you can do option 1. You can assign multiple roles to a user and force them to choose a role rather than use "all".

Option 2 will not work. You cannot have two JDE user ids linked to one windows ID.

Gregg Larkin
JDE CNC Consultant and Security Guru
Working with XE to 9.1 with customers coast to coast

We do something similar for our users who have separate positions. We have a role for each position. The role for their main position is included in the *ALL and the other role is not included in the *ALL. We have also set the web to get role and environment at login. Our set up means that to change roles, the user has to log out and log back in again - which is what we wanted, to keep the positions completely separate.

Hi,

You can do option 1. Also, if you want to convert exclueive to inclusive I have a UBE that will do it for you automatically.

Cheers

Back