ERP 8 and Windows 7

Doug Munich

Doug Munich

Hi all,
We are currently on JDE ERP 8 (SP23 I believe) and we will be upgrading our PCs to Windows 7 starting some time this year. I am looking for info on whether our version is supported (or will work) on Win 7. The Oracle portal suggests that SP 24.1.0 or better is required and that is for web client only.
Does anyone know whether the fat client will work under Windows 7?
I found a posting on JDEList #155179 that discusses this but it seems to refer to web client only.

From my jdeinst.log:
---------------------
OS Version Win2000 Service Pack 3 (VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_NT 5.1)
Installer Version 091704:0200_OneWorld_Xe_Xe_SP23_F1
Launch String \\Deploydwv\B7334\OneWorld Client Install\Setup.exe -v -a -u DMUNICH -d C:\B7 -p PD10_0208A
------------

Doug Munich
[email protected]
JDE ERP 8.0, Oracle 9i, Windows XP

What the Minimum Technical Requirements officially state is that "... ERP8 Development Client is NOT supported on Windows Vista" and "In order to use Windows Vista as a workstation client the user must use ‘run as administrator’ to install and execute Xe-ERP8.

NOTE: Installing SP24.0.0 on a Windows Vista client must be done using ‘run as administrator’. Running SP24.0.0 on a Windows Vista client can be done as a standard user."

No mention of Windows 7 as a regular client. However, seeing how closely related Vista and Windows 7 are, I would bet that it works. It's just not "officially" supported yet.

When I get around to installing Windows 7 on an experimental machine, I can say for sure ... or hopefully somebody can try it and will beat me to the punch.
smile.gif

Thanks Ken.
I also put in a service request at the Oracle support portal, but they refer to Document ID 942674.1 which basically says no support for fat clients.
I did do some testing on a copy of Windows 7 (on a virtual machine) and found that JDE did work using the "run as administrator" option. However every time you launch JDE you are prompted to enter the administrator password (and for some reason our network admin here did not like my suggestion to post the domain admin password on our intranet so everyone can find it!)
I've asked him to see about establishing the run-as-admin permanently so the user is not prompted so we'll see what he comes up with there.
-- Doug

Doug

If you upgrade to 9.0 - you'll be able to run JDE fine on Windows 7 clients - through the browser. Perhaps the move to Windows 7 will provide the ammunition to push for an upgrade ?

Alternatively, Citrix works fine with Windows 7 if you must keep on 8.0.

Doug,
There's also the possibility of running in "XP mode", which is nothing more than a Microsoft Virtual PC running on top of the Win7 machine. I believe its only available on Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise, but once you set it up you would (supposedly) be able to launch JDE right from the start menu and it would run the virtual pc in the background.

I haven't played with it much, but that's what it is SUPPOSED to do.

Windows XP Mode

Just a thought,
Matt

Doug,

I am using Windows Virtual PC to host Xe SP23 dev. workstation on 64-bit W7 Enterprise for last few months. So far everything works fine.

Hope it helps,
Bojan

Does anybody know if W7 Business on 32bit can host a virtual E1 8.12 TR8.98.1 developer?
Thank you.

It can through VMWare. Not sure about Virtual PC, but I can't see why not.

Jon, my question relates to the memory required by the 8.12 fat client - is it not going to eat up all the 4GB a 32bit OS has available?
PS Virtual PC is included in W7; no need to buy a licensse for VMW
cool.gif
... on the other hand, we might need to pay for two operating systems W7 + XP
blush.gif

Yes,

VMWare Workstation 6.5.something with E1 Standalone 9 (oracle) is my standalone mainstay.

(db)

Thank you Daniel
cool.gif

Is there a reason you used VMWare instead of Virtual PC? Is it free, too?

I have used MS VPC in the past - but I had some network issues. It was a long time ago and I can't remember the details - but the VPC didn't afford as much flexibility as the VM.

It may be a null issue, now - but....

My mainstay:
Host PC - Windows 7 Ultimate Laptop
VMWare 6.5.x
VM PCs - Windows XP with all the stuff

(db)

Adrian,
Also be aware that MS VPC requires that your hardware support virtualization (VPC Hardware Requirements). My main machine was not able to use VPC, but I have had no problem running VMWare Workstation.

Unfortunately our plans to upgrade have been postponed to 2011 due to budgetary restrictions so it would be more likely we'd stay on Windows XP!
Citrix might be a good option as we already have Citrix set up and it would only be a licencing issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

This looks promising, I'll forward it along to the desktop group. We'd be getting Win 7 Pro so that could work for us. Thanks!

Back