eRecruit through Firewall with Oracle Portal

WinPrice

WinPrice

We have Oracle Portal implemented for an 8.12 customer for use locally on the network, but they want to start using eRecruit to have job applicants submit resumes to the HR department. Currently we have SSL implemented for their JAS server instances to enable the customer to log in via the internet, but was wondering if anyone has set up the portal to work through the firewall and what architecture was used to set this up.

I am thinking of setting up an Oracle Web Cache entry in he DMZ to point to a new instance of portal that allows anonymous entry and contains only the portlet for eRecruit.

Has anyone set up something similar?

Thanks,
Winston Price

Normally, I would consider the inside/outside method - separate AS and WebCache with shared portal database. As you stated in your scenario, you won't do much on the outside other than provide E1 JPDK portlet exposure, but to me it still makes sense to follow their recommendation as it is has been proven:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/ias/portal/pdf/admin_security_1014_secured_inside_outside.pdf

http://blogs.oracle.com/muralins/2006/12/insideoutside_portal_architect.html

Still, I would also consider the following:

Avoid Oracle Portal at all costs

Hey with 9.0 and Tools 8.98, WSRP is here and you can dump Portal on its ugly head. Some days I wish I could do that.

Thanks Charles.

I reviewed both of those and am going to basically run two portals. One will be an internal portal only with more than just the eRecruit piece in use by the customer. The second will be a web-facing, anonymous login, eRecruit portlet only portal.

I have been working with Oracle's JDE as well as their Portal\SSO\OID support teams to work on getting this working. It's in their interest to have this documented properly, so in exchange for helping with that, I am getting some extra help to ensure the success. I'll post up how it goes.

Winston

Hey Winston

How is it going? I don't know if you still check jdelist but I nearly have all of Oracle Portal configured and what a nightmare. :- I am down to almost last step of trying to get the Provider working and my test page isn't working. My WebClient_Oracle_Portal won't load. Any ideas?

Joe Tirado

Re: eRecruit through Firewall with Oracle Portal - FOLLOW UP

Hey Winston

How are you? We are still trying to get the eRecruit portal going on our site but I can't get live reference accounts that are WORKING. We checked Fairfield ???? and their "Browse Job Openings" link gave us a blank page.

Do you know any LIVE customers and those who could talk a little about how they implemented? In a DMZ?

Knowledge is very sparse on this. I do have calls into Oracle on it as well.

Joe Tirado
Senior CNC Consultant

Back