E9.0 End of Life of Internet Explorer and the impact on E1 (active X)

JohnDanter2

JohnDanter2

VIP Member
Hi folks

It's my understanding IE is coming to an end this summer? How will we then handle Media Object attachments and import export etc without it?

Thanks

John

From what I have heard from my PC manager, 'New Edge' will have an IE 11 mode. Where it will actually run IE 11 under the covers, and OCX should still be supported. I have no doco on this just what I have heard from that side of the house.

I have done some investigation into this. You cannot just switch IE11 mode on and off, you have to enable it for the site/url.

Oracle has stated they are working on a replacement for the import tools that DOES NOT need active x. This was mentioned (not announced) in Infocus 2020 in October. This has been an issue for us as well.

I talked to my PC guy, and he agrees it is set up by site. That should be sufficient. He says so far initial testing seems to show the ActivX is accepted. We use a load balancer, so he is going to be testing what 'site' this needs to be for. But things are looking promising

Hi folks

It's my understanding IE is coming to an end this summer? How will we then handle Media Object attachments and import export etc without it?

Thanks

John
John,

this is a couple years old now but the attached describes the issues and opportunities in moving away from IE 11 / ActiveX Technology in JDE.

Attachments

• How I Learned to Stop Using Internet Explorer and Love Chrome (002).pdf
    578.1 KB · Views: 152
I was using new edge today with 8.12, 9.1, and 9.2 the OCXs appeared to be working.

My users don't want to give up the old functionality, and don't like the new. At least we are scheduled to get rid of 8.12 this year.

Tom

Here is how I started it: start msedge https://url --flag-switches-begin --internet-explorer-integration=iemode --ie-mode-test --enable-features=msInternetExplorerIntegrationEnhancedHangResistance --flag-switches-end

I talked to my PC guy, and he agrees it is set up by site. That should be sufficient. He says so far initial testing seems to show the ActivX is accepted. We use a load balancer, so he is going to be testing what 'site' this needs to be for. But things are looking promising

Here is how I started it: start msedge https://url --flag-switches-begin --internet-explorer-integration=iemode --ie-mode-test --enable-features=msInternetExplorerIntegrationEnhancedHangResistance --flag-switches-end

Running Edge in iemode is just running IE with a different skin. It will have the same vulnerabilities and issues as IE11. You're not really gaining anything by running Edge in iemode.

You may want to read this Article from Last August re Microsoft Sunsetting IE. https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-new-support-deadlines-for-ie11-and-edge.html

Here's the Highlights:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Teams web app will stop supporting IE11 starting Nov. 30, 2020.
  • All remaining Microsoft 365 apps and services will no longer support IE11 beginning Aug. 17, 2021.
"After the above dates, customers will have a degraded experience or will be unable to connect to Microsoft 365 apps and services on IE11," Microsoft wrote. "For degraded experiences, new Microsoft 365 features will not be available or certain features may cease to work when accessing the app or service via IE11."

"Using Internet Explorer mode in the new Microsoft Edge will not help to extend IE 11 access," Microsoft said. That make sense, since what IE mode does is call up designated sites using IE's Trident engine rather than Edge's Chromium."

"... the end of support will result in a gradual decline of functionality. Think of it as IE11 entropy."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above statements are specific to Microsoft 365 products. Not the whole universe. MS will continue to do minor security updates to the browser engine ... but ...

The advantages and disadvantages of running IE11 are still the same. You can put lipstick on it with a Edge/Chromium skin but it'll still be a pig - just prettier.
The real issues to me are:
1. Security / Vulnerability to attacks
2. The browser is degrading ... its not being actively maintained
3. How do you deal with email links, etc? You can't specify command line args there. So what happens when users follow a emailed link into JDE but it brings it up using their default browser (Chrome, Edge, ...)? Most things will work but anything needing ActiveX will fail.

John,

this is a couple years old now but the attached describes the issues and opportunities in moving away from IE 11 / ActiveX Technology in JDE.

Legend, thanks Larry. I guess you can ignore the email now then :)

Larry,

I agree we shouldn't run IE11, but that is not a decision I get to make, and I'm fairly sure others may be in the same boat as I am.

Just trying to give them a hand.

And yes it has the same vulnerabilities, at least from what I can tell. But if the choice is running IE11 or not running JDE (and our business), then IE11 it is :) .

JMHO

Larry,

I agree we shouldn't run IE11, but that is not a decision I get to make, and I'm fairly sure others may be in the same boat as I am.

Just trying to give them a hand.

And yes it has the same vulnerabilities, at least from what I can tell. But if the choice is running IE11 or not running JDE (and our business), then IE11 it is :) .

JMHO
Tom,

JDE is not tied to IE11. It takes a bit of work, but you can be browser independent. See my attachment above for how.

I will also add that Oracle cloud apps no longer supports IE. Really nothing supports IE any more. We made the switch last year from IE to Chrome - and we should have done it long before then. There have been some bumps in the road, some things do work better in IE (thanks in large parts to IE's security flaws), and we still have one app that requires IE but we should have it updated this year and then we will be free from IE. If you don't have a plan to jettison IE you are just delaying the inevitable and at some point you are going to be scrambling to make the switch because you can't kick the can down the road any longer.

I know I can be, but the user/business community doesn't like the alternative, we have tried several times to get them to go that route. Believe me, if I could do it by edict I would. And it isn't like they have what I consider good reasons. But the CIO/CEO think they are, and their opinions are what matter.

Tom

I was using new edge today with 8.12, 9.1, and 9.2 the OCXs appeared to be working.

My users don't want to give up the old functionality, and don't like the new. At least we are scheduled to get rid of 8.12 this year.

Tom
What tools release in 8.12 are you using? I'm using 8.98.4.3 with no luck using MS Edge. Have the Internet Explorer mode pages turned on for JDE Link but not working.

Not sure I follow how you are doing this or exactly how to do. I can't get 8.12 to work in Edge...

Not sure I follow how you are doing this or exactly how to do. I can't get 8.12 to work in Edge...
dav_jde, We just retired 8.12, so I didn't have to deal with it. Got lucky. Moved our last division to 9.2. But we are still working through things. There are still some quirks we are working out. But I'm not the one working them out. LOL.

But in 9.1 we have some issues with the display of the task profiles screen (it's blank) and some issues opening apps in a new window are the two I know of off the top of my head.

Tom

Yes. You have to publish this as a cooperate policy using a XML file with the links in a centralized location.

Back