Edit controls

Mike Mackinnon

Mike Mackinnon

Well Known Member
I'm thinking this is simple question. I have a field (date field RSDJ) on a form that I want to force the user to enter a value. I have selected the properties for the object and in the options have selected "Required entry field". The application will error if the user tabs to field and exits, but what I want is to error even if the user does not tab to the field. Thank you.

Mike MacKinnon
- One World B733, SP 11.3
- One World Xe B7333, SP 13 Windows NT

Sorry about this edit control post. I have figured out the answer. I do not have much experience (in fact none) working with error messages as it was not covered in the courses I took.

FYI... I added code at the "OK" push button to check the value of the form control. I then used the system function "Set Control Error" if the date was blank and entered an error (Data Item) from the DD - Error Messages. For date I used the Data Item '0004'. Thanks for your patience and allowing me to post questions like these.

Mike MacKinnon
- One World B733, SP 11.3
- One World Xe B7333, SP 13 Windows NT

Mike,

don't apologize! We may not have jumped on giving you the answer right away but it wasn't because we (or at least I) thought it was a dumb question. This is exactly what the list is for - learning from each other.

Cheers,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
SandBox: OneWorld XE

Mike

Thank You! for posting your question and answering it, I need people like
you on the list, as I am new also to One World much less XE.

Bob

PS looking forward to hearing from you again.

Mike,
You are welcome. Larry is right, the List role is just to learn from each other. On the other hand questions could be simply for one but could be difficult for other, mainly when somebody is beginner in OneWorld or go to work to a new part of it.
You have written that: "what I want is to error even if the user does not tab to the field".
In response to it:
1.) You can set a Form scope variable in the "Control Is Entered" of your control and you can check it elswhere (e.g. in events of OK).
2.) You can use the "WasValueEntered" system function also to detect that das the value in the control changed.
Regards,
Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Back