E9.1 EDI - JDE to JDE

DonP

We have two JDE shops and for the time being, we want to extract 850 Purchase Orders from one company, and import these as Sales Orders at the other company.

What is the easiest way to do this?

We currently use both of these EDI processes at both companies, but the file format (and field layout) of the 850 PO needs to be altered to match the 850 SO input. They are close but have differences.

Thanks.

We have two JDE shops and for the time being, we want to extract 850 Purchase Orders from one company, and import these as Sales Orders at the other company.

What is the easiest way to do this?

We currently use both of these EDI processes at both companies, but the file format (and field layout) of the 850 PO needs to be altered to match the 850 SO input. They are close but have differences.

Thanks.
Don,

It sounds to be that you are looking to generate an outbound 850 to purchase goods from instance A and then have instance B receive an inbound 850 to sell the godds to instance B. Is that correct?

If so I am not sure what software you are using to send and receive EDI with external partners but I am thinking you could use that and map the data accordingly just as you would with any other EDI trading partner. Another option would be to have a separate JDE job that would pick up the outbound 850 from instance A and flag as processed and do the data transformation and insert the 850 inbound into instance B F47 files as needed. An orchestration could also be utilized as well to pick up the outbound 850 data and transform it into the format for the inbound 850.

I hope this is helpful and if I am over simplifying feel free to share more information. Best of luck!

Why not do a transfer order (ST/OT)? This accomplishes the same purposes. The process creates a sales order and a subsequent purchase orders. It's definitely cleaner and allows changes and updates to be instanteous. For instance, if a ship date changes on the sales order, it's updated on the purchase order.

Last edited:
Hi Gomer79,

Your understanding is correct.

We use True Commerce for our EDI mapping to external partners and to have them get involved would take too long from past experiences.

I'm thinking the same as your second option - programming.

An orchestration would be great, but we have not had success with our business partner getting these working. We are on tools 9.2.2.6, we have a DEV AIS server running. We've been wanting to see what orchestrations are for over a year.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Why not do a transfer order (ST/OT)? This accomplishes the same purposes.

Hi Rich,

These companies are on two completely separate instances of JDE - separate servers, and separate databases (MS SQL and Oracle). Maybe I used the word Company too much. One company was on JDE, then the second company was purchased by the first. The second company already had JDE running.

Thanks.

edit: I wish I could edit my original post to clarify this. Sorry.

Last edited:
One additional idea I just thought of. I think I can link the Oracle server to the SQL server. Then I can write select statements from MS F47011 and insert into Oracle F47016, and do this with the other supporting F47 files.

Thoughts on this method?

Hi Gomer79,

Your understanding is correct.

We use True Commerce for our EDI mapping to external partners and to have them get involved would take too long from past experiences.

I'm thinking the same as your second option - programming.

An orchestration would be great, but we have not had success with our business partner getting these working. We are on tools 9.2.2.6, we have a DEV AIS server running. We've been wanting to see what orchestrations are for over a year.

Thanks for the reply.
Don,

If you would like to learn more about Orchestrator and how it can be used as a powerful tool within your organization let me know and the J.Geiger Consulting team would be happy to discuss further to see if we could assist you with that process. Just let me know or send me a message or reach out via LinkedIn and we can set something up.

about the SQL solution that would work but I like to ideally have record of the transaction regarding the 850s in the system of record which is JDE but at the minimum make sure the records have audit information that would indicate the SQL job was what was updating the records.

Don,

If you would like to learn more about Orchestrator and how it can be used as a powerful tool within your organization let me know and the J.Geiger Consulting team would be happy to discuss further to see if we could assist you with that process. Just let me know or send me a message or reach out via LinkedIn and we can set something up.

about the SQL solution that would work but I like to ideally have record of the transaction regarding the 850s in the system of record which is JDE but at the minimum make sure the records have audit information that would indicate the SQL job was what was updating the records.

We have our weekly Enterprise Applications meeting tomorrow. I'll bring the subject up. There is some frustration because our current vendor was supposed to do this (show us orchestration and what we can do on our release) but they've not delivered. I'll find out if there is momentum for additional budget.

Thanks.

Back