e-mail client vs forum posting

scott_parker

Reputable Poster
Hey Eric.

I don't know why I didn't notice this during our testing of the forum but...

Did you notice that when you reply to a message (via the forum) The original post is not part of your message.
Not like when you reply to an e-mail from your e-mail client.

Ok that being said. If someone responds to a post via the forum. When I get the E-Mail I have NO clue what the original message says. (without looking for it).

To make a long story short. (just in a typing mood today I guess)
Can you make it so when we reply to a post (via the forum) it puts the post we are replying to at the bottom of the e-mail it sends out?

Does that make sense?

Scott Parker
Grote Industries, LLC.
WorldSoftware Version 8.1.2 AS/400 V4R4 (soon to be V4R5)

Hi Scott,
First, you are welcome as <font color=yellow>journeyman</font color=yellow> /wwwimages/icons/wink.gif
1.) I have different observations than yours. When I have replied posts from my e-mail, generally my answers appeared on the Forum without the original message.
* In one case, my reply initialized a thread, the original message arrived onto the Forum later and initialized an other thread.
* In an other case, my reply initialized a thread again and the original post has never appeared on the Forum. In this situation there was a little problem (on the Forum), what was the original post replied by me (fortunately the Title was enough descriptive /wwwimages/icons/smile.gif).

2.) Attaching original post to the bottom of answer sometimes could be useful but attaching only the replied message. As you know, there are some thread with a complicated structure build from replies. In such kind of situations attaching the replied message only won't resolve the problem to understand the conversation.
I'm affraid that attaching the entire thread could has performance disadvantages.

At last, using the Forum instead of mails appears the best solution.
<font color=yellow>Zoltán</font color=yellow>

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

One of the problems that I have had with the mailing list is the endless message quotes (threads) and footers. Eventually some threads exceed the maximum allowable line limit and that ends the thread. Preparing archives for the search engine is a nightmare because much of that stuff had to be stripped. I am hesitant to include original messages on the mailing list or the forum because it is a waste of space and it causes duplicates when a search is done. At best we might include the first five lines of the original message, however, mailing list folks can always see the complete thread by clicking on the link at the bottom of the message.

Place your system configuration information in your signature!

Two reply via e-mail with different result

Eric,
There is a case study currently on the Developers board.
"hrodriguez26" and me replied the same issue (mail) both of us via e-mail. The title of the original mail is: "display a huge field"

1.) Both reply has started a separate thread.
2.) The original message hasn't appeared on the forum.
3.) The original message was attached to the bottom of "hrodriguez26"'s answer and wasn't to mine one. (Does it depends on what kind of e-mail software do we use?)

Could you do something to prevent this kind of situations and collect the mails under a single thread?
I suppose, it isn't an easy and obvious task, am I right?

Re: Two reply via e-mail with different result

If the original message had been sent to the correct e-mail address, this problem would not have occurred.

Sending a notification again to the Lists?

Eric,
Would you be as good as to send a notification (again?) to the JDE Mailing Lists about revising the e-mail address and taking care of it in the future?
Thanks in advance /wwwimages/icons/cool.gif,

What is with automatical registration?

Eric,
I suspect, the real cause is not the wrong e-mail address.
I suppose, only registered (Forum) users' mails will appear on the Forum, so when someone send a post to the correct List address who is not registered on the Forum, could cause this kind of situation.

You had sent a notification on the list earlier (25 October) about the Forum in which you had written about automatical registration to the Forum:
<font color=yellow>JDEList OneWorld / XE Developer subscribers will be automatically registered to the Forum when they post a message to the JDELIST One World / XE Developers mailing list or they may register on-line at the JDEList web site.</font color=yellow>
Does this automatical registration work really?
If it works then it should have to prevent the reported situations.
Please, let me know, is my supposition right or isn't.
Thanks,

Re: What is with automatical registration?

Automatic registration works on all JDEList Mailing Lists. Trust me, they are sending e-mail to the wrong address.

Making listers interested in using correct address

Eric,
OK, I trust that the real cause is the wrong e-mail address /wwwimages/icons/blush.gif.
As I previously have written, asking you to send a new notification to the list, now I ask you to attach the though below to this notification:
<font color=yellow>
Sending mail to the correct address the issue will appear on the Forum and the sender will have much more chance to receive valuable help because it will be read by Forum subscribers too who aren't subscribers to the List. The most of Forum subscribers was subscribers to the List earlier but they unscribed the List since they are using (this wonderful) Forum.
</font color=yellow>
Of course, please translate it from my English into a right English /wwwimages/icons/smile.gif

Re: Making listers interested in using correct address

Zolton.

Your message translated into "Left" english.

Send the #@$%@#@#@ messages to the right #@#@$@#@ address.

hehe

Scott Parker
Grote Industries, LLC.
WorldSoftware Version 8.1.2 AS/400 V4R4 (soon to be V4R5)

Back