Dreamwriter output in Excel

MANDAR

Hi,
I am running dreamwriter reports & wanted to take an output of that into Excel but I guess this is not possible.Can someone guide please?
one more place where I am facing trouble from FASTR reports when I am exporting data through I series while doing transfer Ii get some error while giving destination file.
document where I want to export should type as File?
Anybody has any writeup it would really help.

Best Regards.
MANDAR

I vaguely remember being able to use the CPYSPLF command to copy the contents of a spool file to a database file that you could then download into Excel. Haven't had to do it in years so can't give you much guidance there but bet you could figure it out with some work.

As for FASTR download, I've attached something I wrote up for our users that might help you.

I create a spool file through printer over-rides, open iSeries Navigator, find the spool file under outq's and DRAG AND DROP on my desktop and then open with Excel. It works great. On past OS releases I think it didn't work well or the same way.

I thought the origial poster was running oneworld/enterpriseone based on releases so assumed was not on an iSeries.

Hello,

Here are the two ways of converting the Dream Writer Output to excel.

1) As suggested copy the Spool file to data base file using the CPYF command. The disadvantage of this method is when you transfer the data from file to Excel all the coulmns will be transfered to a single column.In some cases if you need sum of the values in a specific column you need to process the excel further.

2) Map the Report output to a data base file also( Change the RPG). This will hel;p you transfer the data exactly as in the report and then you can downlaod it and sum it up using EXcel.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Mark.

Guys, sorry, but anyone who is pulling a report spool file directly into Excel is insane!

There is a product called Monarch, made by Datawatch corporation that will allow you to select the data you want from a report, and export it to Excel (among other formats), with proper formatting for numbers, dates and text.
I have designed a utility that automates this process - a user runs a report, and the utility retrieves their job completion message, parses the batch job information, downloads the report, then runs it through Monarch to export the report data into an Excel spreadsheet (no page numbers, page headings, etc).

Another option is to upgrade to A9.1 and use PC Import/Export.

Cheers,

Emmanuel

Back