Does JDE permit calling a form from itself?

David Tremain

Does anyone know if JDE permits calling an application form from within itself? If it permits it, does it work without unexpected side effects? (A co-worker is using a form as a subroutine because it permits sorting of table data...)

Hi David,

As far as I know, you can call an application form from within itself.
Good idea to limit the level of these calls to avoid stack overflow.
You can do that, placing a "LevelOfCall_INT01" parameter into the form interconnect DSTR and increment this in each call. If it reach the maximum level (e.g. 5) then do not perform further self call.

Knowing the stabilty of OW/E1, this type off calls easily can increase the chance to get memory violation error.

Please. let us know your progress. Thanks.

Good luck,

Zoltán

Thanks for your quick reply. I concur - it does appear to work. Your advice to limit the depth is very good - if you don't, the system eventually will! ;-p Same with your comment on memory violation.

If we discover anything else noteworthy, I'll post additional follow-ups. If anyone else knows of pitfalls / etc. with doing this, please post them.

A word of caution for novices - this approach is probably not something to try just for fun... this activity provides enough rope to allow even the competent to easily hang themselves - and then throws in a couple of extra feet just in case.

Back