Documentation on AAI set up and JD Edwards Accounting

patcc

Well Known Member
Hi,

I need to set up the distribution module on JDEdwards Enterprise One ( Order to cash, procure to pay, inventory etc). However, I don't have any accounting knowledge and I'm having hell of problems to set up the AAI and to understand the Chart of accounts thing.

Are there some documentations that will help me understand how to proceed to set up AAI's for the distribution processes and to understand which accounts are affected?

Thanks for your precious help...

Hi Pat

No disrespect to you, but if your knowledge of accounting is limited I would not contemplate setting up the AAI's myself. Whilst the theory of where the accounting entries go is not complex, choosing the right accounts for your business is critical to your implementation success. Basic information on distribution AAIs can be found in the manual and also this forum probably has many topics devoted to AAIs. However real gains are made when flex accounting, use of subledgers and subsidiaries, use of Gl Classes etc. are employed in a way that really suits your business.

To amplify what Sef said, the documentation will tell you how the system derives the account based on company, Doc Type, and GL Class Code, but it will not and cannot tell you which accounts must be debited and credited for each transaction you plan to perform in the system. This has to come from a knowledge of fundamental accounting and your company's chart of accounts. If you don't have the background, I suggest you sit with one of your accountants and walk through all of the transactions (receipts, issues, balance adjustments, etc.) and identify which accounts are used for the debit ant credit for each of these transactions. As I always say about AAI's, distribution owns the left side (Doc Type and GL Class codes used), and accounting owns the right side (accounts to be charged).

Hello,
What I will say on this issue is unless & until you don't know what impact accounting entries really makes on Financial statements you should not set DMAAI's.One more thing is for setting up DMAAI you really need to understand the BU & GL class structure also which has desinged according to requirement of client (With all exceptions also).Because I have seen cases where the person don't know what for GL class & BU is set & then it will really create a huge problem for Financial Statements.
In relation to this you must know whether the company has any ST/OT transactions what all Doc types they are using .
So in short the person who creates DMAAI should be able to see the picture in totality considering BU,GL Class,DOC Companies & Accounts .And should be able to understand impact of DMAAI postings on Financail Statements.

Regards.

MANDAR.

Back