DMAAI 4124 and Product Cost Detail

rogerwilkouk

rogerwilkouk

We are in the process of upgrading from Xe to V9 and have come across a major loss in functionality (for us) and I am hoping someone somewhere has a solution to our problem.
I've searched high and low and can't find anything yet.

When entering an Inventory Adjustment (P4114) in XE, it would break out the Cost of Goods entry (AAI 4124) by Cost Component. In V9, it no longer does this and only posts a single entry.

This is referenced under SAR's 8031910 and 8543931 which changed the way the records were written. Further research with Oracle resulted in the following information..

"Inventory account only will write the Journal entries with each cost types. Expense (COGS) account will not write separate entries in JE. 4124 records, by cost type were available until we discovered a bug with summarizing journal entries and writing the units to the G/L. To have correct units with summarization and Product Detail Costing we had to change the logic to write just one 4124 record. We discovered another issue with the fix regarding the 4124 AAI and using different cost types on a Product Detail Cost record after that change.
After a discussion with Product Strategy, it was believed that most customers are not going to break down their cost of goods sold (4124) to the extent that each Product Detail Cost record would correspond to a different account for COGS. That lead us to the current logic where you have just one 4124 record and it is the sum of all the Product Detail Cost records and uses the cost type of the last Product Detail Cost record."

For the way we do business the ability to break out the 4124 records is an absolute must (we enter our inventory tags through the inventory adjustment screen this way in XE to specifically have this functionality). We currently don't use the summarize JE option anyway.

We had a developer look at the business function and they said that to change it would be very difficult and dangerous and is not something we really want to do.

We have looked at a nightly report to "re-write" the entries each night and break them out but the accounting departments aren't exactly happy about that either due to potential cost change and that sort of thing.

This is a long rambling post I know but has anyone come across this, solved the problem or is there an option/setting in V9 we are missing or are we just SOL?

It also impacts transfers (IT). I have had this with various clients (4+) in the last couple of years, and have asked for an enhancement SAR at each. This along with similar short comings in Cycle Count and tag Count (and a couple of other AAIs') essentially negates/invalidates using account based inventory and Adv Cost Accounting.

A real shame!

It has forced each client to maintain excel spreadsheets to perform inventory accounting activities. This is particularly important for clients where the material costs varied significantly month to month.

I believe this to be a major shortcoming

Had a feeling this was going to be the case. Oracle haven't been too much help and are having trouble trying to justify why they can quite easily break out the 4122 Inventory side, but "it's not possible" to do it on the COGs side.

We don't actually care about breaking out the Inventory side and so my creative juices started flowing and we are going to try and put the 4124 AAI's under 4122 and the 4122 AAI's under 4124 and then either multiply the Qty by -1 in the business function right before and after it creates the F0911 records or fool it into calling the 4122 instead of the 4124 and vice versa.

Might sound crazy but if you stop and think about it, it is logical if you don't need the Inventory side broken out and our initial test shows it to work and it's just 2 lines of code changed/added in the XT4111Z1 business function.

Just as an update for anyone interested, further testing of this possible solution resulted in more scenarios where it didn't work and so we had to go back to the drawing board.

Back