Disaster Recovery for E1

Soul Glo

Soul Glo

VIP Member
Does anyone have a DR plan for E1 on and iSeries. We are trying to establish ad DR and are trying to figure out what others are doing. We are looking at WTS or can anyone say if they are using a hot site.

we're using data mirror and that works ok for Xe. I'm expecting to go all-on-i when we go live with 8.12 so I'd imagine that would be ok too.
we have a seperate HA iSeries which is continuously replicated to via a 10mbps link- we have done several role switches.
cheers,
rich

I have a couple of clients who use Mimix for the AS/400 side of things, and Double Take for the PC server side.

In both cases, replication occurs to a geographically separate location (ex. Burbank, CA to Miami, FL).

We contracted with WTS and are in the process of coming up with a plan. I expect to get the draft version from them sometime this week. Having said that, the information of probably proprietary, but I can give you some general information once I get it. They host your site at their facilities and you access it via internet. After a certain amount of time, if your system isn't back up, you contract with them for a short term hosting solution. I can let you know more later.

Bottom line, you need to look at your own requirements to decide if you want to go with Mimix or tape restoration or somewhere in between. We are not a 24/7 shop...we're a public agency and can afford a little more down time than a manufacturing environment or other businesses.

We are using BRMS from IBM (http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/support/brms/).

With this backup tool we make daily backups and a weekly DS plan. In the Weekly DS plan the tool make an image (like Symantec Norton Ghost) of the all iSeries (OS/400, Wepshpere, apps, data,etc..). Into the DS plan we make a VAULT process to duplicate the tapes and take them to an external security service.

The cost effectiveness of this tool is quite good in my opinion.

Back