• Introducing Dark Mode! Switch by clicking on the lightbulb icon next to Search or by clicking on Default style at the bottom left of the page!

Development Fat client that supports JDev in 9.1/9.1.5 latest configuration

RonWeasley

Hi All,
I was analyzing the MTRs in certification section of MOS to setup a lab environment for JDE E1 App Release 9.1 (tools 9.1.5). I saw a unique problem. If I go by the latest and greatest configuration, I would need to select Oracle 12c database and Windows 2012 R2 as my Deployment Server configuration.
I have no problem with that; but when I try to create a corresponding Devlopment FAT client (That should also support BSSV pkg via JDev) - I am stuck! The Windows 8.1 fat clients support Oracle 12c and would be compatible with my deployment server configuration. But they don't support BSSV (no JDev 12c supported). But I would need a fat client that has the capacity to support BSSV (JDev 12c). Now, only Windows 7 configurations support JDev 12c but they don't support Oracle 12 local database.
Moreover, if I go by Oracle 11g database, the one supported by deployment server configuration is not compatible with development client.

This has confused me totally - how can one come up with a latest architecture design if the certified configurations have a conflict with each other. Can someone advise on this please? Oracle doesn't seem to have a clue.

altquark

Legendary Poster
You could use Windows 2012 as your Development client OS. It might be a little more pricier, but it is just a thought...

RonWeasley

Hi Jon,
We don't have a problem with that. But the issue is that we don't see any means to have BSSV development. Windows 2012 or 8.1 that supports Oracle 12c database doesn't support JDeveloper. If I buy Windows 7 for fat client that supports JDev 12c; I wouldn't be able to install Oracle 12c local database there. Its a strange paradox and I am not sure how Oracle came up with an MTR that is technically impossible to achieve!
Please have a look if you get some time; and let me know if you find something..

altquark

Legendary Poster
I agree. When JDE went to the "certification tab" - things kind of went awry. In the past, we had the MTR document for a specific release that was a good document to work from and provided us with minimum specifications for what was required for JDE to run - but internally to Oracle, they felt it was a pain to keep updating a single document. So they adopted Oracles "certification" policy. The problem is, of course, with so many different layers of technology - one hand isn't talking to another inside Oracle and there is no "overriding" body that ensures that what is "certified" makes sense.

So, therefore, you have to open a call with Oracle and push them to understand that for EnterpriseOne - there is a mis-alignment of versions which results in you having to run a non-certified platform to do your work. A second place is to open up a Technical SIG ticket with the Quest User Group to ensure that Oracle Development correctly adopt and certify the correct versions.

Oracle is having some issues internally at the moment - their financial results released this morning were extremely poor (though not from the software sales side). Oracle also promised that 9.2 was to be released prior to FY15 - and we just saw financial results for Q415. So they missed releasing 9.2 on their anticipated dates for whatever reason. We all expected 9.2 to be released at Collaborate - and now its starting to look as if Openworld will be the event that the 9.2 release comes out. Almost certainly, the certifications are all aligned for 9.2 - but as dates slip, software hits End of Life and hence we get into this kind of situation. We've seen it before - I'm certain that this gap will be addressed, and the more customers/users that complain, the quicker that Oracle will react.