Data Dictionary related - Vocabulary Override and Row Security.

morglum666

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I've recently started a new position and I want to make a few changes in the least amount of production steps. Its a large environment with hundreds of users, AS/400 ent, as/400 websphere on 8.12 with tools release 896.

Specifically, I want to do both of these things..

We have an apps consultant who would like to distribute some vocabulary overrides. The user base is entirely web based. I searched the existing JDE list posts and it looks like they recommend deploying a package to distribute this type of change. Is that the only option? Could it also be a case of just doing a DD generation on a web client for that one item?. I haven't used this functionality before but I think all they do to add this is to modify a tab in the DD.

Second case. I have a new column for which I want to use row security. I can see that in the DD I need to flag this for row security. In this case, do I also need to possibly do the whole package thing just to get this change? Or will the security side of things pick it up the next time enterprise services are restarted?

All assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,

Malcolm

There are 4 different ways to override the description of an item in JDEdwards:

TYPE CHANGE LOCATION UPGRADE ACTION
1. Data Dictionary --> Data Dictionary --> UPGRADES
2. Vocab Overrides --> Application --> DOES NOT
3. Jargon Code --> Data Dictionary --> UPGRADES
4. Form Override --> Application --> DOES NOT

For single language installs I encurage people to do the data dictionary because it's easy. Only change the column and row descriptions, build and deploy packages and you're done.

Pretty much all of these changes require a package build except for Vocab Overrides, which if setup in advance can be somewhat dynamic.

I believe that there is a Solutio ID on this topic from JDE.

For the Row Security you need to rebuild any apps that use that DD item where you want to use row security - hence just do a full build to make life easier.

Colin

Back