Customization best practice

adeel

VIP Member
Hello there
When you customize JDE object example Rxxxxx or Pxxxxx. Do you make a copy like R55xxxx and customize as Oracle recommended or directly work on the JDE object.

I would say it depends on the specific situation. For our organization we have found that making a modification directly to the pristine object is the best practice for a myriad reasons and that is our default policy - modify the pristine object. However, we will do a copy and mod in certain situations if that seems like the best solution.

Agree with Brian, unless you are making custom "versions" of an application you should perform mods in the base object. The main reason is that you have to retrofit mods either way when applying an ESU or during an upgrade but if you clone you then have to deal with updating all of the references to that object.

Thanks.

Was curious how the Oracle support will react in case of changes on the base objects. Hard for them to troubleshot that's for sure in case of issues

We have found Oracle Support willing to help as far as they can, but they usually can't troubleshoot through mods, understandably. This is where Pristine becomes useful. We just uncovered an issue in P42101 which we have modified. So, we went to Pristine and did the same process. The problem was there so we went to Oracle and they could duplicate it and creted a bug document. If you keep your Pristine pathcode current with all the ESUs you have in your other pathcodes, it will tell you how unmodified JDE handles the situation.

Well I have seen both ways change to base and copy base and customize. But you have more control on changes when you have copied base what to adapt or not when JDE comes with some major changes which have impacedt your base code drastically mostly happens during some major release.

We normally would change base only if its minor modification. I normally copy the base to custom for any new functionality which JDE doesn't have mostly for the reason above and if its heavy customization.

Chan

Back