Custom UDC Search from Data Dictionary

singe

We are upgrading from 8.12 to 9.1. Unfortunately, Oracle has made some changes to P0005S (User Defined Code Search and Select) which make it very inefficient when searching by description on a UDC with many records. In this case, we have 5000+ records in the UDC for COUN (county) and it takes over 5 minutes to return the records.

I have created a new UDC lookup P550005S (just a clone of the 8.12 version of P0005S) which is more efficient. I have set the Visual Assist in the Data Dictionary for data item COUN to use P550005S, but the problem is it does not pass in the form interconnect values for the system and UDC codes (00|CT). How can I make these values pass in without having to modify every application that use the COUN field? Does the UDC rule only work with P0005S?

Thanks!!

...and remember to share the par once you have fixed the program .
smirk.gif

Generally we try not to make major changes to standard JDE apps since the impact could be wide-spread. The fix here would be to undo all the changes Oracle has made between 8.12 and 9.1. They give no reason for the change in the code comments, but basically what they have done is suppressed QBE for Description and added a form control. Now instead of the database selecting only the records that match the description entered, all records for the specific UDC are returned, compared to the description entered in the form control, and supressed if they don't match. In the specific instance that brought this to light, there are 5000+ records in the UDC and it takes over 5 minutes to process. Overt the years I've come across several standard apps that use this method (fetch all and suppress what doesn't match) and I just don't understand why they go this route when it is so inefficient.
tongue.gif

I guess I'm a bit confused here. UDC's are lookup ...foundational data. How did you get to 5,000 of them for a single UDC?

Second thing: Have you looked at doc ID 1542860.1?
It is supposed to change the behaviour of the dropdowns in specific screens.

Cheers

Malcolm

Bruno - it looks like you are correct. The change is to support alternate language description. We are not using that though, so we decided the simplest route is to hide the form controls and enable QBE on the standard UDC Search and Select.

Malcom - we have 5000+ records in 00|CT County. This is the basis for our tax setup so we are storing the FIPS code for every county. We are not using UDC dropdowns.

Back