Crystal vs XML vs Forms Software

DPonder

DPonder

We are in the middle of an implementation of E1 8.12. We are moving from an AS/400 to a Wintel environment. Our forms software was AS/400 based and we must find a new way to create our Checks, POs, Invoices and Statements. We have a go live date of November 1st 2007, so time is very important. The consulting group that we are using has only one suggestion, purchase new forms software. My question is, can Crystal Reports that comes with the software handle our needs? Can Crystal take the PDF output and add an overlay or can Crystal only be used to access data directly from the E1 database?

Any information that you can share with me would be appreciated.

E1 8.12 - 8.96.1 Wintel WS 2003

"Can Crystal take the PDF output and add an overlay or can Crystal only be used to access data directly from the E1 database?"

No, it is not Forms software - it can't read PDF and reformat it.

Listen to your consultants - thats why you're paying them.

Crystal is strictly a report writing tool. However, I believe 8.12 is supposed to come with XML Publisher. I went to a session about it last Spring at Collaborate07 and it sounds like it can do a lot of the things that you purchase forms software to do. Before rushing out to purchase a new forms package, take a look at what it can do for you.

Back