CreateForm (Bottomline) and V5R4

ssolberg

VIP Member
We are a World only shop and have been running the CreatePrint/CreateForm product for many years in order to produce our numerous AP/Payroll checks, Invoices, Statements, etc... (it's lots of stuff). We are currently running version 5.5 of their product on the iSeries.

I contacted them recently because we are swapping out one of our boxes for a new 520 so I needed a new temp code and by chance, they asked which OS version we were installing on the box. We are getting V5R3 (though we almost went to R4 but decided to wait) and Bottomline mentioned "that's good because our version 5.5 is not supported on V5R4". What!?! I've never got so much as any notice of this incompatibilty from them. I talked with them and they aren't supporting it but they aren't even sure if it will run on that OS.

Their requirement is to upgrade to the current 2.7 product. I happen to already be a little familar with this product is although it is an "upgrade", it requires quite an actual "migration" to this new product from the 5.5 product. Setup and config on the iSeries is quite different and the PC-based design product is completely new. All existing forms have to be migrated to the new format and I had trouble even getting that to work "well". It will clearly require us to get outside help to get everything done. (cha-ching)

Does anyone have any feedback on this and is there anyone who has already had to go through the 5.5 -> 2.7 migration? Did anyone "wing it" and attempt to run the 5.5 product on R4 yet? I realize that all product lines "run their course" and require IT shops to keep up to date but I really get pissed when I'm forced into a serious migration of an existing product without much warning and when it isn't going to come for "free". We already paid a pile of $$$ for the product and now we will have to pay another pile to keep it running. Sorry, I'm ranting...

I went through it about 2 years ago when a company (A) went to V5R3 and (B) went from Create! 5.5 to 2.7.

In regards to the conversion program, that did not work in all instances. When the company I was with did it, there was much manual conversion work to be done. And yes, we needed Bottomline consulting help to pull it off.

Other than the above, the company encountered rampant printer instability to the point that printing from the American HQ came to a standstill for the better part of 2 days. The company reverted back to 5.5 (which Bottomline supported).

The company demanded and received a position statement from Bottomline before upgrading, so it had a basis in black-and-white when confronting them with their software issues following the failed upgrade.

My advice: Stay on 5.5. Go to 2.7 only after Bottomline applies any applicable 2.7 patch for your OS release. Be warned, though--despite the patch, the company I'm referring to still had hiccups in 2.7. If you have moved some printers to 2.7 but not all, consider reverting those printers back to 5.5 until Bottomline can address the compatability issue.

Good luck.

-KV

I'm just bringing this original post back to the top to see if anyone has any input (see original post for details). Anyone out there running CreateForm/Print vers 5.5 on V5R4? We are wanting to upgrade the OS but this is really holding us up. At this time we don't have the time or resources to dedicate to a full scale "new product migration" and we (literally) have hundereds of forms that would need "migrating".

Thanks in advance.

Hi Sannan,

We are using Create's Form2 and Print 5.5 on V5R2. My understanding is
that these will not work on V5R4 - or at least Create Print 5.5. We
will be going to V5R3 next year and holding off on going up further
until Bottomline has all of their products available on the OS.

Jim Rubino
Fike Corporation

Back