Copying a BSFN

jgrams

Hello List,

I was wondering if it is possible to copy a business function. A consultant created a custom business function for us and we would like to copy it and make some minor changes to it. In OMW, I moved the existing B5501 BSFN into a project and then checked it out. I then highlighted B5501 and clicked the Copy button. I received the following 3 errors:
Error: Method, Copy Object from Project not supported
Error: Parameter Handle not passed in
Error: Handle to object not passed in

Is it simply not possible to copy a BSFN, or am I going about it in the wrong way?

Jennifer Grams

OneWorld XE - SP 16, AS/400 coexistent

Jennifer,

certainly its possible to copy BSFNs.
What you appear to be running into is a Object Management Configuration (OMC) issue. In OMC you need to setup/specify a LOT of stuff, including What Actions may be Performed by What User Roles for Projects at a given Status.

I suggest you run the OMC tool (P98230 on GH9081), select Allowed Actions, and see what Role you need to be given in a project at a given status to allow you to Copy.

Good Luck,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
Mfg, Distribution, Financials

I think you must check out the data structure before copy the business
function.

Franck BLETTNER
Service Informatique RAVATE
Tel : 02 62 90 40 63
E-mail : [email protected]

Current Version : OneWorld B7332 Oracle, RS600
Work on :
Oneworld B7321, B7331, B7332, XE
Platform, UNIX, AS400, NT
Database : Oracle, SQL, DB2

-----Message d'origine-----
De : [email protected]
[mailto:eek:[email protected]]De la part de [email protected]
Envoyé : lundi 16 juillet 2001 04:10
À : [email protected]
Objet : Copying a BSFN

Hello List,

I was wondering if it is possible to copy a business
function. A consultant
created a custom business function for us and we would
like to copy it and make
some minor changes to it. In OMW, I moved the existing
B5501 BSFN into a
project and then checked it out. I then highlighted
B5501 and clicked the Copy
button. I received the following 3 errors:
Error: Method, Copy Object from Project not
supported
Error: Parameter Handle not passed in
Error: Handle to object not passed in

Is it simply not possible to copy a BSFN, or am I going
about it in the wrong
way?

Jennifer Grams

--------------------------
Visit the forum to view this thread at:
http://198.144.193.139/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Ca
t=&Board=OWDEV&Number=16198

----- End forwarded message -----

Franck BLETTNER
Service Informatique RAVATE
Tel : 02 62 90 40 48
E-mail : [email protected]

Sounds like you didn't checkout the data structure for the BSFN (D5501???).
They bothe need to be in the same project before you copy the BSFN.

B.

Hi Jennifer,

I copying a BSFN is more complicated than DSTR/TBLE/APPL/UBE, what I did before is (assume the BSFN is going to use the same DSTR, although you can choose a new DSTR)

1) Add a new BSFN, new name
2) Go to design, add your new BSFN name and new function name(s),choose same DSTRs for new function(s) as old ones
3) Copy *.h and *.c files to your new name
4) Rename all function name(s) to what you've defined in 2), they must be same
5) Save your *.h and *.c files
6) Build the BSFN

You can also change your DSTRs, you can use JDE tools to create some definitions and put into *.h files

I do this way all the time, no problem at all.

I am not sure simply copying a BSFN is workable. If anybody successfully tried to copy a BSFN in OMW, do please let me know.

Regards,
Richard

First of all, thanks to everyone that responded to my post. I have tried all of your suggestions, but I still was unable to copy the BSFN. Actually, I get the same 3 errors when I try copying any BSFN and I never get to the copy screen. I called this issue into JD Edwards and was told that we should NOT be able to copy business functions. He gave me SAR #4803206, which disables the Copy button in OMW for business function objects. I guess JDE doesn't want us copying BSFNs.

Richard, I haven't yet tried your approach. Perhaps you have found the work-around to this issue. I will try your method - thanks!

Jennifer Grams

There is no problem copying BSFN's in B7332. The OL even has an option to copy the appropriate DSTR first. Of course, once it's copied, there can be a lot of work getting it to run again, due to the new names of the .c and .h files.

I'm also sure I've done this on Xe in the past without problems, although I don't have access to verify it. I can't think of any good technical reason why you can't copy them, as they're pretty simple at a file level. The other suggestions for creating a new BSFN in OneWorld, and then copying the .c and .h files in explorer does pretty much all that the copy function should do.

Back