Copy pathcode from sister companies' installation?

Seedsman90

Copy pathcode from sister companies\' installation?

Hi, we're running XE on Intel/SQL Svr, and our sister company is running the same. I'd like to get their entire Production pathcode and put it in our PY environment. (We've both modified our installations considerably over the years and there's no good record of everything touched so a normal Product Package won't do it.) I've tried getting a Product Package of every object (a PP of the whole pathcode) but for some reason the ASU program won't process it properly. First level Oracle support can't tell me why. I've heard mumbles from people that, while it SHOULD work, for practical purposes a whole Pathcode is too big for a Product Package. I think I can restore SQL backups and hack away at Object Librarian tables for a month but I'd rather not. Isn't there some reasonable way to take a complete Pathcode from one installation and load it into another one? Thanks,

Re: Copy pathcode from sister companies\' installation?

Hi,

This should be pretty straightforward. I have performed similar exercises in the past. However, unfortunately (or fortunately?!), the easiest route in my view is to take a backup of the full pathcode from the 'other' installation (Central Objects database, Pathcode Directory on Dep Server, OL records) and restore this to your box. In my case, I didn't need to setup the custom pathcode in Planner which cuts out a lot of work.

In theory, it should be possible to create a PP of the entire pathcode but as you've discovered already, it's a pretty tall order. I would go for the save / restore option.

Best Regards,

Sanjeev

Hacking the OL isn't quite as hard as it sounds.

In essence:

Restore thier OL onto your system in a different DB.

Create another OL Datasource pointing to that DB.

Run a version of the R98403 with the Language Merge flag set to Y copying all OL tables EXCEPT the F9861 from thier OL to yours, this will insert any missing records without overwriting any of yours.

For the F9861 table delete all records not relating to the imported database, change the pathcode to your imported name and copy the records from thier OL to yours.

Cheers

Paul

Don't forget DD changes

The data dictionary is extremely important, considering it is the building block of the entire system. Just one example: Is the decimal scaling set-up the same? You could be in for a rough ride if the DD is not the same. Also, the OL keeps tracks of applications via a log key which can get out of synch when copied over.

It shouldn't be difficult, however, to run a compare between the two data dictionaries. Just compare against the unique key fields. In fact, I believe there is a report somewhere that will compare differences between the Pristine DD and the regular DD - I know there is definately something that compares between World and OW.....

Anyway - I agree, this would be the first major step to take, and really shouldn't take too long to accomplish.

Lastly, the simplest way to transport the SQL is to extract it using BCP - then bring it into a new datasource which was created using the SQL Scripting. This is how pathcodes are transported when you first install OW - and it is the simplest method in the world....!

Back