Connecting an Intermec PM4i Label Printer

Darryn

We have connected an Intermec EasyCoder PM4i label printer to our network and assigned it a queue on a Windows print server. If we open a PDF in Adobe on a PC and print to the printer via the print server everything works grand. However, the corresponding print queue that has been created in P98616 fails to send valid output to the printer.

We do know from various experiments that JDE does produce output, does route it thru the print queue and that it does arrive at the printer. The problem is that the printer blinks briefly and then does nothing. The printer buffer tools show us that what arrives is mostly a few tags of XML garbage. When done from Adobe, the buffer shows the pretty output that was printed on the label.

My best guess is that the output from JDE is arriving in a language that the printer does not understand. But how to turn this around so that our labels print properly is proving to be quite the mystery. I'm hoping that someone has experience with adding an Intermec label printer to JDE and what neeeds to be done to make it work.

Thank you.

Darryn
E1 9.0
Tools 8.98.4.2
Oracle 11.x

I have done further research and can see that the root of the problem is that JDE is sending out PS, PCL (or line printer) and the printer wants IPL. I'm going to mess with the driver on the print server to see if it is possible to have it do a translation on the fly.

Hi Darryn,

What is the printer definition language with which this printer is setup in JDE. I have a line printer setup as - *JDE LINE

I guess if you use PCL or Post script you will get a garbage print.

Regards,
Joel

Joel,

We've actually tried all 3... PCL, PS and LINE... with no success. Do you maybe have a screen shot of your LINE configuration?

The Intermec printer talks IPL (intermec printer language).

D

Back