Closing an A/P voucher without paying or voiding the voucher

jimmymac

Reputable Poster
This may be an odd question but would like opinions if any.

We are on E1 9.0

Our question is this. The circumstances are a bit hard to follow but we've been asked if this is possible. When creating a particular type of voucher and posting it, we would like to move no further for this voucher. We need to flag it as closed in some fashion, but we are not going to pay it and not going to void it, though we do want the open of the voucher to to go zero.

Is there any mechanism for closing a voucher in this manner. The key is , we do not want any further journal entries beyond what was created when the voucher was created and posted. But we also don't want the voucher hanging out there with an open balance forever.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you close the voucher and do not want any further journal entries beyond what was created with the original voucher, then you have both an integrity and reconciliation issue between your AP subledger and GL. Why would you want to create an integrity issue?

Thanks Gina, this is a bit hard to explain, but I'll give it a shot.

We will be processing certain vouchers through an interface into the Zfile F0411Z1 to create vouchers in JDE. Normally, we would get the following.

Create Voucher

Debit to Expense
Credit to AP Trade

Then we pay the voucher

Debit to AP Trade
Credit to Cash

But Accounting wants an end result of

Debit to Expense
Credit to an International Inter-company account.

So we are trying to figure out how to get to that result. We can created an AAI that will cause the creation of the voucher to Credit the Inter-company account. But then we have to do something with this now open voucher.

If we pay it, that would create a Debit to the Inter-company account and a Credit to Cash. We don't want that.

So we either need to just close the voucher without additional journal entries, or somehow 'pay' the voucher, but the result of the payment should not change the original entries from the voucher. If we 'Pay' the voucher, we need to do it in a batch way to no users have to do anything. That is why I asked the other question about a completely batch payment process.

Hard to follow maybe but that is what we are being asked to do.

Are these particular vouchers from a single vendor? If so, you could create a new Pay Status, link it to that vendor, and then when you are entering vouchers you add a manual credit to the AP Trade account, which will zero out the voucher so that it doesn't show up as open, and you don't have to pay it. You can easily exclude these vouchers from the data selections of your Create Payment Groups UBEs by using the custom Pay Status. That will at least take care of part of the problem. Hopefully that gives you something to think about.

Jimmymac,

What you actually want to do is treat the International Inter-Company account like a bank account:

Create Voucher

Debit to Expense
Credit to AP Trade

Then pay the voucher

Debit to AP Trade
Credit to an International Inter-company account.

I think we have done something similar for certain vouchers. I'll have to check, but I won't be able to check until tomorrow.

Back