Cleaning up MO orphans

Alex_Pastuhov

Alex_Pastuhov

Legendary Poster
Just had a request to come up with a way to identify and cleanup MO orphans. There can of course be a number of different types, going both ways, but in this case we are mostly talking about old MO attachments (both files & table records) that belong to nothing anymore, i.e.: after the data has been purged and the parent records are gone.

There can also be F00165 records without actual files, or files without F00165 records. And the same with F98MODAT. But these latter are easier to do, so I'm not worried.

I can make a tool for all of these, but that's a big job and this is a small market, so I'm looking for expressions of interest from prospective customers. Please email us, if that's something you want enough to buy when available.

Your input is greatly appreciated!

@Alex_Pastuhov and/or @Larry_Jones - This sounds like a cool tool, but what is your current business case for this? Do the orphan MOs cause issues or are you just looking to get things cleaned up? I have a PowerShell script that looks for a file path in the F00165.GDGTFILENM and sends an alert if the file does not exist but that was for some strange issue where files were not getting to the MOQueue.

@Alex_Pastuhov and/or @Larry_Jones - This sounds like a cool tool, but what is your current business case for this? Do the orphan MOs cause issues or are you just looking to get things cleaned up? I have a PowerShell script that looks for a file path in the F00165.GDGTFILENM and sends an alert if the file does not exist but that was for some strange issue where files were not getting to the MOQueue.
Just maintenance, I think. The obvious benefits would be smaller F00165 in the end, with better performance. It's not a burning issue, obviously. And the benefits are not especially tangible, unless you are running out of space on either side. Thus justification may be tricky. But from a proactive admin point of view it's fantastic thing to do.

Hence this request for expressions of interest...

PS: A similar issue exists with UDC's, actually. Where many values in many tables may refer to non-existing UDC's. A similarly, there can be a tool to report on that. It's almost as intangible, but I expect UDC's may be just so much more annoying, if you see this every day.

That makes sense. There are many things we all do to keep things nice and tidy.😊
On the UDC thing... I agree. It might also be fun tracking down all those locations... programatically. 😜

Stewart.
If you have a mature environment you may have teno of thousands of orphaned F00165 entries and/or files.
My last employer had well over 100,000 of these that we cleaned up when migrating to 9.2.
JDE apps frequently don’t bother to delete F00165 entries when the owner is deleted.

That makes sense. There are many things we all do to keep things nice and tidy.😊
On the UDC thing... I agree. It might also be fun tracking down all those locations... programatically. 😜
Actually, we had a tool for UDC too, but there was no interest and I took the listing down. It's still alive and well. So, if anyone is interested, please email us directly.

Actually, we had a tool for UDC too, but there was no interest and I took the listing down. It's still alive and well. So, if anyone is interested, please email us directly.
Here's a screenshot of the UDC tool, if anyone is interested. It basically reports on what UDC values have been used in different columns of different tables, which have no actual UDC's defined, so you can then either update those values in the tables to match existing UDC's, or create new UDC's to match table values.

Attachments

• UDCII02.png
    UDCII02.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 10
Back