Checking Who's Online

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Legendary Poster
Checking Who\'s Online

Hi JDEList,

Sometimes I check the Who's Online (maybe as most of you).
In the past monthes, weeks I was very glad to see, that somebody is reading the
JDELIST DISCUSSION GROUPS (FORUMS) NETIQUETTE
or
JDELIST Mailing List and Forum Guidelines
or
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

It is really great!

BUT I do not see the effect of this - reading the posts on Forums
frown.gif

What is your opinion? I do not want to detail my question, but I am sure, some of you has opinion (at least, who reads this Off-Topic/Help Forum).

Excuse me, it is really Off-Topic.

Regards,

Zoltán

Re: Checking Who\'s Online

Yes, it seems to come in waves. I don't mind helping beginners, but the very curt (short, abrupt) nature of their questions doesn't "help us to help them." The wave eventually dies down, and picks up again after a few months. Hopefully, the ones that stay around have learned the best way to get a useful answer around here.

I wonder if it isn't some kind of cultural thing. It's hard to believe that the broad, "tell me everything about ...", platform-information-added-only-after-being-asked, way of expressing themselves isn't part of their way of doing things, because it seems like every single one starts posting that way.

That may sound prejudiced to you. I can only assure you that I'm not, since I was not born in the US, and have had to handle others' imperfect English my whole life.

----------
Signature not added as this opinion is purely my own, not in any way related to my employer, and was not intended to offend anyone.

Zoltán, Ken,

I have also noticed that there are a lot of requests in the nature of, as Ken so nicely put it:

[ QUOTE ]
"tell me everything about ...", platform-information-added-only-after-being-asked

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be a culture thing. It could also be a laziness thing. It could also come from the person requesting the information/help not having the time to research and then ask questions with as much detail as possible. Another reason may be that the questioner may be overwhelmed by the task they have been given and do not know where to start. Or a combination of (or elements of) some or all of the preceding reasons.

In reponse some JDEList members respond in a less than friendly way - understandably frustrated at the nature of the question. However, if we want to effect a change in the way questions are asked (when/if these new(?) JDEList members ask again), patience may be of better value. At least that is what I try when I respond - most times. Though sometimes how I respond can be taken the wrong way.

In addition a lot of qestioners do not give any feedback, to say what they did and what worked (which can be very valuable to a lot of others) or even just to say thanks, when they have received replies.

That's my AUD 0.02 worth.

[ QUOTE ]
Zoltán, Ken,

I have also noticed that there are a lot of requests in the nature of, as Ken so nicely put it:

[ QUOTE ]
"tell me everything about ...", platform-information-added-only-after-being-asked

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be a culture thing. It could also be a laziness thing. It could also come from the person requesting the information/help not having the time to research and then ask questions with as much detail as possible. Another reason may be that the questioner may be overwhelmed by the task they have been given and do not know where to start. Or a combination of (or elements of) some or all of the preceding reasons.

In reponse some JDEList members respond in a less than friendly way - understandably frustrated at the nature of the question. However, if we want to effect a change in the way questions are asked (when/if these new(?) JDEList members ask again), patience may be of better value. At least that is what I try when I respond - most times. Though sometimes how I respond can be taken the wrong way.

In addition a lot of qestioners do not give any feedback, to say what they did and what worked (which can be very valuable to a lot of others) or even just to say thanks, when they have received replies.

That's my AUD 0.02 worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

All -

Most likely Zoltán is referring here to my response to Suneel in the JDE World forum:
My Response to Suneel

Perhaps I was a bit brusque in my response. On the other hand, when I see a post that begins with "hi, can any of u..." it is extremely irritating.

1) This is a mailing list for JDE professionals, there is no place or need to use texting abbreviations. USE REAL words!

During a similar episode in 2004, I was the person who originally posted to JDELIST the link for Eric Raymond's very useful and entertaining How to Ask Questions The Smart Way web site. As Eric Raymond notes on that page: 'Spelling "you" as "u" makes you look like a semi-literate boob to save two entire keystrokes...'

2) Also, as Eric Raymond notes on his web page, before you ask a question in a public forum, first do your homework:

<<

Before You Ask

Before asking a technical question by e-mail, or in a newsgroup, or on a website chat board, do the following:

Try to find an answer by searching the archives of the forum you plan to post to.

Try to find an answer by searching the Web.

Try to find an answer by reading the manual.

Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ.

Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.

Try to find an answer by asking a skilled friend.

If you're a programmer, try to find an answer by reading the source code.

When you ask your question, display the fact that you have done these things first; this will help establish that you're not being a lazy sponge and wasting people's time. Better yet, display what you have learned from doing these things. We like answering questions for people who have demonstrated they can learn from the answers...

>>

3) Had Suneel done even a simple Google search, he could have found a link to the Oracle documentation:
Let Me Google That For You "JDE World 7.3"

4) I am usually happy to share my knowledge, but only with those who have first tried to help themself. JDELIST is not a school - It is a place where we share knowledge. It is not a one-way street...

Best Regards,

If there is someone new to Edwards and they truly want to understand the foundation of the software, I am more than willing to help them. That's what the list is for.

If some cheap consultant shows up asking questions for immediate gain, I troll them. I will continue to troll them simply because they dilute the product and affect our ability to professionally execute our craft. Also, they are often very stupid people, and I like trolling stupid people.

Max

Back