Checking in a Batch Version, without the Batch program.

jimmymac

Reputable Poster
I've been doing this for many years, but would like opinions on this topic. I was told many years ago while working on E1 XE, that whenever you are checking in a new or changed Batch Version, the project should also have the Batch program that goes with it. So that if as I am now creating a new Batch Version for R09801, I should check out R09801 in the OMW project, create my new Version, then check in both the new Version and the unchanged program R09801. Basically whenever a Batch Version is on your project you should also include the program that goes with it, even though you are not changing the code in the program.

The reasoning was always 'that's how we always do it', or 'If you don't include the program, the version specs could get corrupted', etc.

Now I am working with E1 9.0, and about to create a new project where all I am doing is creating a new Batch Version of R09801. So my question is for all the experts, do I really need to also include R09801 in the project, or only the new Batch Version.

Thanks to all.

JM,

Negative. If you don't touch the Template, only move the Template into the Project with the New/Modified Version.

You should Never Check-Out an Object you are not Actively Modifying.

(db)

Hello jimmymac,

You don't have to include the template UBE in the proyect if you're going to create a new version of it. This rule is valid from Xe to current release.

Regards,

Luis.

So you're saying that "Yes" we need the object even though we only touched the version, correct?

I get the same inconsistencies in that answer, dependent upon who's doing the CNC at the client of the time.

I always put the object in there regardless, just to cover my butt. Would love for someone to actually explain why.

No you do not need to check out object. Just check in version that you have created or modified. Never bring in the object, whoever says to that has no idea. Hope this helps

Gurlfiend - you and I got our bumbums covered on this.

Some CNC folk REQUIRE the Template to be in the same project with a UBE_Version. Some, say not necessary. The only thing that CNC folk seem to agree on is; it doesn't hurt to have the Template in the Project....

(db)

ok - so heres the answer. Its very simple really

Us CNC's get given projects to promote and/or then (usually) we then have to build an update package.

The issue is that in the package definition screen, when we type in an OMW project - only the OBJECTS that are in that project are displayed. The CNC then usually selects all those objects, together with the selection "all versions for selected objects" and hey presto, we have a package.

If, on the other hand, only a VERSION of an object is in a project, the package build definition screen will not display anything when select the OMW Project. Whoops - no objects, no need for a package - right ?! Not at all, a package still needs to be built if an existing version changes !

So, that then requires the CNC to manually go through the OMW Project, listing the versions - and selecting the template project individually.

Now, I've been involved on projects where dozens of objects might be needed to be promoted and an update package needed to be built - which can take HOURS (or at least lots and lots of minutes) to go through individually picking out the template items.

Of course, if there are lots and lots of versions to promote, then the CNC can always just build a full package instead of an update. Of course, on some versions/platforms - a full package takes hours and hours to build - something that isn't easy to just kick off and deploy !

So thats really the explanation. The CNC usually has a LOT more work to do than just going through OMW and the package build definition screen - and testers usually can't sit there and wait for hours long package build processes, whereas if you have the template as part of the project (even if it wasn't modified or checked in) - then reduces the package build definition to seconds.

Hope thats a good explanation. I personally tell developers and development leads to always try and place templates into the project. That way, the dozens and dozens of OMW projects each day we have to promote and build don't take the ENTIRE day up and results in quick, fast builds and deployments for the testers.

Thanks Jon -

That clarifies it for me, and I'm sure many of the other functional folks that want to continue to make sure that we don't offend our CNC's… Happy CNC's make for a happy project!

So I just now have one more point to ask for clarification on…. I was told that this rule only applies to BVs and not IVs… If that is true, why? A version is a version right?

Carrie

Right - the rule DOES only apply to a BV !

The reason is that an Interactive Version is practically self-contained. Interactive Versions don't need a package build - if a version exists, then the specs for that version are merged at runtime. But Batch Versions also have specifications in the central objects - hence they absolutely need to be deployed as a package build.

There is one exception to this rule, however - if the version is brand new (ie, you just added it) - then you don't need to o a package build either. Its only if you CHANGE a version where the mixup happens !

So, you don't need template objects as a part of OMW projects for interactive version promotions - only for batch.

Hope that explains the inner workings of central and replicated objects a little better - it gets a little technical sometimes - but its always best to explain the reasons plainly to everyone !

That was the way it was done back in the olden days...

If you are on an older version of E1 (pre - 8.12), the package build definition programs function solely off of objects. If you use new pb definition programs, it uses OMW projects and includes the versions in the build definition. So there isn't any need or benefit to putting the report template object in the OMW project. [Unless of course the report template actually gets modified].

Using the new build programs, its actually kind of annoying to have the template if its just a version being modified. Some batch version changes dont even need builds.

Actually - that is right.

In the latest 9.1 release, when you build an update package - you have two options to select objects for that package.

The first option - a button entitled "Browse Objects" - will take you to the traditional OMW Project browse form - and if you have a Version without any template, then this will NOT display.

However, if you select the SECOND option instead - the "Browse OMW Status" - this starts a new program and if you type into the OMW Project Name the same project, you'll see ALL objects, including the versions.

Therefore - and this is something I didn't actually know until this was pointed out - the second option DOES allow you to correctly select the versions in the project without the necessity to add the template.

So, from now on, I'm instructing our development teams that unless they're making changes to the template, that they do NOT add the template to the project. Secondly, I've instructed our CNC team to ONLY utilize the "Browse OMW Status" button - and in fact, we're planning on securing out the first button to eliminate mistakes.

Back