Charging Sales Tax or Not: Business Activity (Nexus) in a state

Eric Lehti

VIP Member
Does your business ship product to states where you do not have Nexus (business activity). If so, do you configure your sales order so that the order does not compute sales tax on that order?

As JDE document 626635.1 states: Entering Tax Information On A Sales Order.
- The Tax Explanation Code defaults in the SO (sales order) header from the Sold-To customer master record.
- The Tax Rate/Area defaults into the SO header from the ship-to customer master record.

Example: The order Sold-To is a Taxable customer in state you have Nexus. Customer asks you to ship to a state that is not taxable (and you do not have Nexus in)
The Order Entry program will display error message because Sold-To is a taxable customer.
If you blank out both video Tax fields, no tax will be charged. SIMPLE fix!
If you specify a tax code in both fields, tax will be charged.

How do you handle the issue?
Because we do have the Vertex sales tax database, we have to enter tax codes individually.
Our Order Entry person contacts our Financial Managee asking her to add the appropriate Sales Tax code to the Ship-to F0301 master record (on the first time shipment).
I have considered creating a simple data file with each of the 50 U.S. states, and define a column for Nexus definition "Y/N". Then modify P4210 to look at this table.
Require tax on orders shipped to states we have Nexus in.
Not collect tax on orders shipped to states we do not have Nexus in.
I think that one of you probably has an elegant custom solution to this thorny issue.
Please tell me!
Eric

I meant to say that we do NOT have the Vertex sales tax database. I omitted the word 'NOT' from my original posting.

Back