Changing print server

luigi

We are planning to change the print server, let's say from PSV01 to PSV02. Now, the printers in JDE are named \\printserver\printername. Because many reports have to be printed allways on the same printer we assign the printer directly inside the report. If we are going to change the printserver this will cause the name of the printers in JDE to be changed too (because we need to create them new) and therefore we have got many reports to be changed accordingly. The questions are two:
1. Does anybody know where and how are the printerdefinitions stored in JDE?
2. Is there a way to browse through the reports, identify the old printer and change it to the new one?

Of course I proposed at very first to keep the name of the old printer server for the new one but like so often, the machine is not only a printer server but also a file server for the whole network. The customer doesn't want to change the name of the "old" one.

Every help is much appreciated.

Luigi

Running OW 733 Ver. SP15.1 (very very old), Terminal server, XP Fat Clients

I believe that printer definition if set at the report level becomes a part of the report spec. The only way I know how is the get list of your reports that have the printer override and start changing them using OMW, you will have to check out all the reports change the printer, check them in and promote, build and deploy for the change to take effect.

If anyone has other options please share....

Thanks a lot. This is the usual way of doing it.
Maybe someone has experience with reading and updating the specs somehow. I know that this is very hard to achieve but it would save a lot of time. Actually I have no hope but wish to thank you anyway.

Too bad you did it in the specs. If you had done it using the ovverrides for printer name in GH9013/printers/default printers app, you could have done the whole thing with a single SQL statement.

Back