Changing All Item Master Cat Codes

JorgeJDE

JorgeJDE

Hi,

The Company I'm working for needs to change all item numbers and the associated category codes (SRPx, PRPx) in the Item Master. We've got over 2 years using the current set up, now we'll need to create new items using different naming convention and categorization. The existing item numbers will need to be changed to the new item naming convention.

The complexity resides in that the current category codes set up will be totally different. I have thought of the possibility of differentiating the old cat code values from the new cat code values using the Special Handling code field in the corresponding UDC tables, but new item requirements will have a conflict since the new items and classification codes are generated in a system outside of JDE.

I don't think I'd have much options but to store the old cat codes in a separate table and redifine all cat codes in the Item Master for the new items based on the new categorization.

My question then becomes, what would be the impact accross the application if making this type of change in a live environment?

Also, if anyone out there has had a similar requirement and what did you do?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Jorge

JDE OneWorld release B7334
AS400 platform

Hi Jorge

Just a couple of pointers and comments before you embark on your project:

* Cat codes will need to be changed at Item master as well as Item Branch level (the latter drives your system).
* Make sure that you take all your advanced pricing and advanced preference rules into account as item cat codes often drive these systems
* Define a strategy for reporting. Currently you may report sales and/or purchasing based on category codes stored in the sales and purchasing tables. Once you change over these values will remain unless you SQL historic data

Good luck,

Back