Change Display Decimals in Unit Cost

Travis Wendland

We have a situation where we have zero decimals in our quantity fields but our cost per EA is too small to precisely cost our products when the primary UOM is EA. We cannot set the primary UOM to thousands of eaches because we sell in EA.

We have 2 options. We can change the display decimals on the quantity fields to be at least 3 or we can change the display decimals on the unit cost fields from 4 to 7.

The officially supported solution from Oracle is to change the display decimals on the quantity fields. That is a daunting task because we have been live on JDEdwards for 15 years.

It seems to me that changing the display decimals on the unit cost fields would involve less data conversion. It is also the preference of our business users to not have decimals in the quantities.

Has anyone changed the display decimals on the unit cost fields? If so, do you have any words of advice about such a project? We realize that we will have to write programs or SQL statements to change the existing data in the files to have the correct number of implied decimal places. Also, if we move forward with this project, we would do it as part of an E1 upgrade project where we would have a separate data dictionary for our test environment.

I recall being assigned to a customer's account in the early 90's that had:
Installed the software and done their own configuration,
Then loaded all of their PO data, Inventory data, and SO data,
Later they changed their data decimals on the COST fields from 2 to 4 (or maybe from 4 to 6),
All of this took place in Production.
They operated for about six or eight weeks before they noticed the "numbers did not appear right".
It took a team of JDE consultants about 3 months to fix the train wreck they created.
So, be very, very careful.

You might also want to ask Oracle if they're going to support your change to the unit cost data item.
We're upgrading to 9.0 from A7.3 and the display decimal question came up. We checked with Oracle and they basically told us, we could change it but they could no longer support us because of all the potential problems.

So be very, very careful before you attempt this.

pre-procedure for changing Unit Cost decimal places:

1. Purchase revolver
2. Load 5 of the 6 chambers
3. Spin cylinder
4. Lift revolver to head
5. Ensure pointed correctly
6. . . .

The above is what you will be doing if you go that route.
Why would changing the Costs seem easier to you than Quantity Conversion?

On the one hand you have
1. A documented conversion process
2. UBEs to perform the conversion
3. Vendor Sanction and support
4. Documented success stories by other customers

On the other hand you have . . . nothing.

other than changing unit cost decimal how to handle PO purchase price/unit cost with more decimal than current setting example current 4 decimal and change to 5 decimal with JDE version 7333.

Is it able to set up unit cost per 1000 or per standard pack rather than per pcs/EA? How to do that?

confused.gif

Setup a Unit of Measre, such as ME, to mean 1000 eachs. Then enter a standard UOM conversion 1 ME = 1000 EA. You can now price in ME and buy in EA if you want.

Back