Central Objects Copy

max_xx

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone please let me know what is the fastest/best way to do a central objects copy from PD to PY in terms of both Objects as well as data i.e. from Deployment server and Database server ??

I have done a data refresh from PD to PY a few no of times but that is for PRODDTA and PRODCTL.
I am presuming something else is involved in copying PD910.

Our system config:
JDE 9.1 with DB as Oracle 11gR2

Thanks a lot in advance.

-Max

JDE has an Environment Copy tool. You need to be logged into the Planner to use it. It can copy Path Codes and Environments.

System Administration -> System Installation Tools -> Advanced Operations -> Environment Copy

max_xx, try searching for documentation on the Oracle/J.D. Edwards website. There are a couple documents for refreshing a path code / environment. My preference is to complete the entire procedure manually as opposed to using the environment director but that's just my personal preference. Good luck.

For Oracle DB:

(In my opinion) The fastest and most efficient way to do data refreshes environments is import/export through Oracle utility or using transportable tablespaces. Transportable tablespaces is more efficient than import/export. You can use this procedure for both data/control tables and central objects.

The way I do a central objects copy is as follows. I'm probably going to have a bunch of people flame me for not using R98403 or whatever, but heres the "super secret" fast and 100% reliable "Jon Steel" method. Read and learn, this has helped me hundreds of times over the past 15 years :

1. Depending on your database, select tablename from all_tables where owner = 'pathcode' to get a list of all tables. I prefer a nice single column of table names for this.

2. Create a CPYTBL Script based on the output of the above. You might have to hunt and peck for the way the script works - I know that there are a number of places left that might have that info (my personal website used to, but I had to shut it down recently). I personally use MS Excel and then copy/paste into notepad. The script might look like the following :

TABLE(F98741) FROMDS(Central Objects - DV910) TODS(Central Objects - QA910) OWNERID(QA910) OWNERPWD(QA910) CREATE(YES) CLEAR(YES) COPY_DATA(YES)

Save the script as "COPY_CENTOBJ_DV910_to_QA910.txt"

3. Create a Table Conversion. Go through the wizard, making sure its a Data Copy, and take most of the defaults. When the wizard shows the "grid" - click "import" and import the script

4. Run the table conversion

5. While the table conversion is running, copy the pathcode on the deployment server (\\depsvr\E910\DV910 to \\depsvr\E910\QA910). Delete all the old package folders out of the new \\depsvr\E910\QA910\packages folder.

6. Create Object Librarian records in the F9861 for the new pathcode

7. Change the Environment in the Versions table (F983051)

8. Make sure you assign the new pathcode to an environment (ie, create OCM mappings for an environment that uses this pathcode)

9. Make sure you update your machine identification table to reflect the environment (ie, pathcode)

10. Build a full package !

Total time to create a new pathcode from scratch ? About an hour - most of which is spent waiting for the table conversion to finish. This process absolutely also works if you decide that you want to move database platform as well ie, going from SQL Server to Oracle - or if you want your central objects on a different database - or whatever.

Wow!!! Is this copy method still being used? - This was the original, circa B71-B72 methodology, as prescribed by the JDE guides.

I actually remember doing it this way myself at the time ;-)

Back