E9.2 Can you prompt the user for input for an orchestration?

jgagnon

Can an orchestration prompt the user for input values it needs? There is an option where the orchestration could be associated with an E1 application and some of the input data it needs could be mapped to filter or QBE fields in the application UI. But I have a situation where the orchestration needs input from the user that is not available in the E1 application. Is there anything I can do in this situation?

Here is an idea I've been thinking of. Whether it's "doable" (or worth the work) is another question.

Create a separate little GUI application to:
1) collect the needed user inputs
2) invoke an orchestration (assuming I can) and pass the data as a JSON object

I would think the orchestration should be able to receive the JSON and pull out the information it needs. A fair amount of work to build the GUI and I also need to figure out how to make it available to the user.

It would be great if it could somehow be integrated into E1 (say as a CAFE1 "pane").

Of course, the best solution (to me) is to have a capability to define the GUI in E1 and hook it up that way. Sort of an extension of composed pages, but with the addition of data fields that are mapped to a data object.

Let me know if this sounds reasonable or totally nuts.

You can call orchestrations using form extensions on any JDE application. You must be on at least tools release 9.2.3.3 to do this. You can map inputs to the Orchestration from any existing field and starting with 9.2.3.4 you can map the outputs of the orchestration back to the fields on the JDE form.

You can associate the orchestration with any event on any existing control or you can add a new button (on the glass) and associate the orchestration with that.

Yes, I understand this. But this is not the problem. I need to be able to have the user enter information and then "submit" it to the orchestration. This information is not available anywhere in the application form.

Other than adding and renaming the user reserved fields to represent the orchestration inputs and outputs, I do not believe there is a current way to do this in JDE. You could create a separate web app to call orchestrations and ebbed that in an E1 page, which is similar to what you suggested.

We built a tool to do this from Excel (ADEX - formerly JDExcelerator), but that is outside of JDE.

Other than adding and renaming the user reserved fields to represent the orchestration inputs and outputs, I do not believe there is a current way to do this in JDE. You could create a separate web app to call orchestrations and ebbed that in an E1 page, which is similar to what you suggested.

We built a tool to do this from Excel (ADEX - formerly JDExcelerator), but that is outside of JDE.
Thanks for this info. That's kind of what I was thinking was going to be the case. I will do some experimentation to see what I can do.

Interesting ideas.

Do you know how to add and repurpose user reserved fields in an E1 application? Can this be done via form extension, or does this require a JDE designer to create a custom version?

As far as embedding a web app in an E1 page, can that be done? How can it be done? Could it be done by including the web app in a CAFE1 pane? I'm also trying to determine the best place to have the web app be served from. Is it possible to host a non-JDE web application on the AIS server?

Can an orchestration prompt the user for input values it needs? There is an option where the orchestration could be associated with an E1 application and some of the input data it needs could be mapped to filter or QBE fields in the application UI. But I have a situation where the orchestration needs input from the user that is not available in the E1 application. Is there anything I can do in this situation?
I don’t believe so, no. An orchestration can’t open a form or pop a dialog. It is running on the AIS server and has no context of an interactive web session.

Interesting ideas.

Do you know how to add and repurpose user reserved fields in an E1 application? Can this be done via form extension, or does this require a JDE designer to create a custom version?

As far as embedding a web app in an E1 page, can that be done? How can it be done? Could it be done by including the web app in a CAFE1 pane? I'm also trying to determine the best place to have the web app be served from. Is it possible to host a non-JDE web application on the AIS server?
You can do it via form extension, assuming you have enough of the type of fields that you want to use in the business view. Just add to the form header, then map into the orchestration. The only trick is that you need to change the value type on the orchestration (in the Inputs and Values part) to match the type of data expected. For instance, if you are having them input a date, you need to change the value type to be date in the orchestration.

Here is an idea I've been thinking of. Whether it's "doable" (or worth the work) is another question.

Create a separate little GUI application to:
1) collect the needed user inputs
2) invoke an orchestration (assuming I can) and pass the data as a JSON object

I would think the orchestration should be able to receive the JSON and pull out the information it needs. A fair amount of work to build the GUI and I also need to figure out how to make it available to the user.

It would be great if it could somehow be integrated into E1 (say as a CAFE1 "pane").

Of course, the best solution (to me) is to have a capability to define the GUI in E1 and hook it up that way. Sort of an extension of composed pages, but with the addition of data fields that are mapped to a data object.

Let me know if this sounds reasonable or totally nuts.
Yes, this is totally doable.

I'm integrating a freight broker with CafeOne in an application inside E1.

More details here:

I hope this helps,

- Gustavo

Interesting ideas.

You have to use Form Extension.

You definitely can embed web apps as an E1 Page or CafeOne. Also, that web app could be calling Orchestrations and showing results from your own E1 instance.

You can have it served from anywhere: it can be from your own PC, AWS, Azure, OCI, etc... What you must to have in mind is how your networking team will make the connectivity and security of your EnterpriseOne at firewall level.

You can install a web application on the AIS Server Weblogic, also you can add a separate server NGINX in the same server and have your web app residing there. You just need to think outside of the box. 😉

I hope this helps!

- Gustavo

Yes.

On TR 9.2.6.x there's now an option to add an Orchestration as an tile in an E1 Page.

All the inputs will be prompted for you and there's a button for Running the Orchestration with the inputs you key in.

I hope this helps,

- Gustavo

Back