Cahnge Assistant URL error

adeel

VIP Member
Hello there
I just ran the change assistant and getting "unable to launch the application". It was working yesterday.

Is anyone know how to fix the issue?

Please find screen shot.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• changeassistant.PNG
    changeassistant.PNG
    5.5 KB · Views: 20
The only way I was able to remedy this error was to reload Change Assistant. I think that may be the easiest path.

Here is some added information........................

Unable to Launch Application.

Error: Could not load file/URL specified: C:\Documents and settings\<USERID>\applicationData\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\54\45500876=155f2430

CouldNotLoadArgumentException[Could not load file/URL specified C:\Documents and settings\<user>\applicationData\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\54\45500876=155f2430
at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Cause:

The shortcut icon that is created with your install is incorrect. OR
The java cache has become corrupt.

Solution:

1. The desktop shortcut to Change Assistant may no longer be correct. Look at the properties of the desktop shortcut, it sets the path to the file above. When you look for that file in Windows Explorer, the file does not exist.
Delete the Change Assistant shortcut off the desktop and use the java cache viewer to create a new desktop shortcut. Section "How To Recreate the Change Assistant Desktop Shortcut Icon?" in KM article Document 1057524.1 contains the steps to create a new desktop shortcut.

2. The java cache has become corrupt. Clear Java Cache and re-download Change Assistant. For instructions on clearing Java cache refer to section "How To Clear Java Cache - This May be Desired or Needed if Uninstalling and Reinstalling Change Assistant" in KM article Document 1057524.1. Refer to the attachment document (Scenario 3 - Change Assistant Information) for more information on how to locate and view java application runtime settings and shortcut.

Last edited:
Thanks Al

I have seen that document and creating the new icon on desktop required javaaws - viewer which does not even open for me to create shortcut.
Also I don't know why it happened in the first place.
Thanks

Then the next step is to reload it. I have had to do that a few times over the years.

Good luck.

Ok, Thanks I thought I would follow up with network team to find anything change on server.

Hi Adeel,

Today we also faced the same issue which you have faced !

We resolved the issue by following below steps, it will help you for sure.

1. Open Control Panel
2. Open a Java Control panel by double click on java.
3. Click on View under "Temporary Internet Files"
4. Select the Change Assistant and click on delete
5. Now download and install the Change assistant Installer from https://updatecenter.oracle.com/res/patches/70/ChangeAssistant.html.

Attachments

• CA.jpg
    CA.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 16
That is exactly as recommended earlier. Thanks for the confirmation.

Thanks both. Will do.
I guess Oracle did change something thats why you have same issue.

I did not install change assistance before but I assume it will keep our existing location for ESU path etc.
Also I guess I don't need to install JRE and change configuration.

You do have to install the JRE. Please see below. If you follow the instructions, loading Change Assistant is very easy. https://updatecenter.oracle.com/res/patches/70/ChangeAssistant.html

Installing Change Assistant:
1) Click here to install the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 39 for 32-bit Windows (i.e., JRE 1.6.0_39). Be sure to install the 32 bit version (i.e. from the list choose Windows Offline Installation, jre-6u39-windows-i586.exe). EnterpriseOne and Change Assistant are 32 bit applications which require the 32 bit version of the JRE.

If you have not installed the JRE, Change Assistant cannot be launched and executed.

2) Click here to install and launch the latest version of Change Assistant.

Configuration Assistant is a standalone Java-based tool. It is available in EnterpriseOne application release 8.11 SP1 with Tools Release 8.96 and above. It allows you to extract and package a subset of JD Edwards EnterpriseOne configuration information (Configuration Solutions) into a portable archive file, which is a PAR file. Extracted configuration can be loaded into any other E1 environment of the same release using Change Assistant. This tool can be run on Web Development Client or Standalone Client.

3) Click here to install and launch the latest version of Configuration Assistant.

Last edited:
AL
The JRE is already installed I thought I just need to reinstall change assistance.

Question is still there that I need to reconfigure ESU location path etc.

Done

JDEE1Tips I thought I have to uninstall and reinstall change assistant but followed your instruction and worked like a charm! No need to install JRE etc.
AL, I noticed you are very active in JDELIST and helpful!

Thanks, and I always load the latest java so you get all of the updates. It only takes a few extra minutes but give me more assurance that way.

And yes I am on here a few times a day as it keeps me very sharp with my JDE skillset and there always are unusual issues on here that you can work to solve and then apply to client sites later.

What is the version level that shows for your CA? I believe the latest on is 3.0.10 ...right?

Ok mine shows 3.0.11 and I have JRE is 6 update 37.

My question is can I upgrade the JRE to 7 without un-installing the CA or I have to do a complete re-install? And more importantly should I consider upgrading to JRE 7?

I just checked and the version I installed today is also 3.0.11 and with JRE 7. I would try updating to JRE 7 and the worst case is that you would have to install CA again. It all loads quickly so not a major issue. Good luck.

I have latest CA, but have Java 6, 1.6.0.31.

I dont understand why my CA shortcut execute from following location C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaws.exe and JAVA setting using the program file location.

See screen shot. I guess i still using JAVA 32 bit? Just to know as we are using these setting since long time with no issues at all.

Attachments

• version.jpg
    version.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Dear Adeel,

For your question : Why my CA shortcut execute from following location C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaws.exe and JAVA setting using the program file location ?

Answer is here : E1: CHA: Troubleshooting Known Issues on Installing and Upgrading Change Assistant Versions and Establishing Connections with Update Center and Change Assistant (Doc ID 1640495.1) --> Scenario 4 - Installing and Updating Change Assistant With32-bit and 64-bit JREs

If 32 bit and 64 bit JDK is installed in your Deployment Server then make sure to set the below values in change assistant properties, for change assistant to use 32 bit jdk instead of 64 bit

Set the "Start in" value as:
C:\Windows\SySWOW64

Set the "Target" value as:
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaws.exe https://updatecenter.oracle.com/res/deploy/GA/ChangeAssistant.jnlp

Thanks that's give me confidence that our setup is good.

The only part is that we don't have start in value in our shortcut only has Target value as

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\javaws.exe -localfile "C:\Users\JDE9\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\39\xxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Once I click shortcut it asks user name etc to connect to oracle server. I guess I need to replace:

-localfile "C:\Users\JDE9\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\39\xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
with
https://updatecenter.oracle.com/res/...Assistant.jnlp

You both are getting too complicated. Just load the JRE7 and the CA as stipulated in the Update Center. It is a quick process and is easy if you simply do as I have prescribed.

Back