CA Ledger Multi-Currency question?

tpayne

tpayne

Reputable Poster
I haven't worked with multi-currency in JDE for a while, but at my new post we recently added a new company in the UK and are now using multi-currency. I was not involved in the setup so I don't have all the answers, but I am investigating a problem with the Monetary Account Valuation (P09415) which is giving Exchange Rate Not Found errors.

What I am finding in the F0911 is that there are some journal vouchers in GBP (Pounds - Currency of the company) that have records in both AA and CA ledgers, both with currency of GBP, but some with exchange rates which would be to the Euro, others which would be to the US Dollar.

I am 99% sure there is an error somewhere, presumably in the way these vouchers were entered (there are only about a dozen of them), but my main question is "Should you EVER get postings in the CA ledger if a document is in the base currency of the company?".

Our corporation is based in the USA, so the base currency of the corporate company is in USD, but if one of the companies is in the UK and the currency for that company is set up in GBP, there should be no entries in the CA ledger in GBP right?

P09415 is giving the exchange rate errors because it cannot find a conversion from GBP to GBP... (quite rightly!).

Thanks in advance...

Tony,

If an account is defined as a monetary account (currency code other than the base currency of the company) there should always have a CA ledger for each transaction. It is the CA ledger that will be the amount in the currency that is not the base currency of the company. During restatement you will restate the CA ledger to the AC ledger at a rate of 1.

Hope this helps.

Dave

I have been working on this for the last month on and off to try and resolve it, I currently have a call into JDE to try and resolve problems with the Monetary Account Valuation (P09415) which does not work given the balances that we have on F0902.

What we have with several of out bank accounts is as follows:

Company Currency = GBP (Pounds)
Account Currency = USD (US Dollars)
F0902 Records:
CRCD CRCX
AA GBP GBP
AA USD GBP
CA USD USD

If you look at the account balance in JDE, the program adds the values of the 2 AA records together.

The P09415 program reads the first record from the AA ledger (GBP), reads the first record from the CA ledger (USD). Does not find a match so it does not perform any calculations. It then reads the next AA record (USD) and reads the CA ledger without a SETLL, therefore finding nothing.

In my mind, since the AA ledger contains amounts in Company Currency (GBP) and the CA ledger contains amounts in Account Currency (USD), the program should accumulate the totals from all the AA records and then perform it's calculation.

Does that sound right?

The GBP balance should not be there. It is the result of an opening balance journal entered last December, but I am not sure how we can eliminate it from the processing.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help.

Tony,

You can't reverse the bad journal entry (the original opening
balances), then reenter the journal entry correctly?

John Dickey
Financial Systems Administrator
White-Rodgers, division of Emerson Electric
8100 West Florissant Ave.
P.O. Box 36922
St. Louis, MO 63136-9022
314-553-3067
[email protected]

Tony,

Boy, you need someone who is an expert in how these monetary
accounts are supposed to work. Not sure if many people know anything
about thim. I sure don't. It looks like you have the two AA records
because the account currency is difference than the company currency. I
would assume that if you have 200 pounds in the AA GBP GBP, then the AA
USD GBP will have an amount of 100 (dollars). The CA USD USD would also
be 100 (dollars). So I don't think you would want to add the two AA
records together, is my thought. You would have to look at the records
in detail to see if both AA records really represent the same monetary
amount once you convert to the other currency. But that is just my wild
guess. I would think JDE support is where you need to be at to get this
resolved. How did this AA GBP GBP get there in the first place. Was
the account first set up to be the same as the company currency when the
journal entry was done, then later changed to be a US currency account?
If that is what happened, that was a big no no - changing an account's
currency after processing activity to the account.

John Dickey
Financial Systems Administrator
White-Rodgers, division of Emerson Electric
8100 West Florissant Ave.
P.O. Box 36922
St. Louis, MO 63136-9022
314-553-3067
[email protected]

Re: RE: CA Ledger Multi-Currency question?

I figured out what caused the problem, now I just need to figure out how to fix it...

It looks like an opening balance JE went through in December in GBP and this was flagged as Domestic. So, only an AA record was created at the time, but somehow a CA record was created in GBP, but with no balance on it. It's possible the balance could have been udjusted somehow too.

Well after yearend, because the CA balance for GBP was zero, no CA balance got created in 2007.

I managed to find a document on the KG yesterday (solution 200782592) which indicates that for a monetary account there should be a CA record for each AA record, therefore the revaluation program should expect to read an AA record and the next CA record should be for the same currency. This is not happening because we don't have a CA record in GBP.

I manually added a CA record in out test environment, and the valuation worked, except the record needed an opening balance equal to that on the AA record of course. Then the revaluation worked fine, and even the balance to detail integrity worked fine, but I'm still not 100% sure that having a closing balance of 0 in 2006 that does not match the opening balance in 2007 will not give a problem somewhere (only on the CA record).

Ideally as this account should only be in USD, we should journal out the GBP amount and add the equivalent in USD. This should keep me busy today....

Thanks for your help, I expect to be a multi-currency troubleshooting expert at this rate LOL!

Back