business function

ekben

Well Known Member
dear all,
1) business function in erw, what is transaction processing with check box include in transaction for?
2) to know the naming convention for data item prefix in data structure within the business function. got meaning for these prefix?
szTaxarea1 - what is sz stands for?
jdDateservicecurrency - jd?
mnTaxrate1 - mn?
cTaxcalcmethod - c?
any other prefix not mentioned here, can let me know?

Re: business function - data type

the prefix actually is data type, rite? but i still dun know what is this transaction processing in business function. pls help.

ekben,

1) Transaction processing, I believe, allows for entire transactions to be completed before being committed. This avoids the database being updated for only part of a transaction if something goes wrong part way through processing the transaction.

2) Correct - it refers to the data type. For example:

sz - string
jd - JDE Date
mn - math numeric
c - character

ekben,

Lots and lots of questions.
It seems you want to know it all, right now !
A lot of your questions can be answered by the OneWorld documentation !
I can also recommend the Developers Guide (ISBN 0-7-212316-8)

Hi ekben,

Q#1.) Do you have documentation CD?

If yes, please, read it sometimes!
It is a good-intentioned advise.

1.) Transaction.
Hmmm, are you skilled, what does it mean "Transaction Processing" in the world of databases?
It is to big task to make a course here, to clarify this subject.
Please, read the "Transaction Processing" chapter of the Technical documentation (Development Tools). It details this subject well enough. If you will have question, after you have read it, then let us know to help you. Dealing with transaction processing right way, requires some experience in development

2.) Perefixes.
Commonly named as "Hungarian Naming Convention".
Here are some additions to Peter's reply.

c - Character
jd - date (Julian Date or Jde Date)
mn - M_ath N_umeric
sz - string (in Hungarian language SZöveg)
n - iNteger
id - IDentifier

Regards,

Zoltán

DNFTT - codependency is also an addiction!!!
Ok, so I'm not feeling myself today.

Ben again,

Why would he go to the documentation or classes when he consistently gets his questions answered here?!?

What's that saying...."give a man a fish....etc, etc." ;)

His resources are too limited ... can't afford classes or books.
But he has time!
Lots of!
Therefore he's fishing.
And, believe it or not, sometimes he catches something.
And who knows, he may be able to show us releasing his catch.
Meanwhile ... he's so hungry, you can't blame him.

Just give him a chance.

Adrian, that's one point view, another one may be that if a rookie is playing with Production, helping them one step deeper (and stopping at that) would make the outcome so much worse...

OW is one system, which you cannot manage working your way in one step at a time from zero. It does require some minimal set of knowledge (quite substantial bit, I should add) to start with.

I should say, that without this basic knowledge, it would be a lot safer not to know, for example, what OCM is, because knowing what it is, without also knowing the hundred other things about it, will mislead them into believing that they can manage it successfully.

I can compare this to teaching somebody how to make cyanide or explosives in the kitchen from cooking salt, without explaining the dangers, etc.

So, yes, my idea is that we should discourage it - for the sake of the customer whos OW installation is at stake.

Regards,
Alexander Pastuhov
http://www.pastuhov.com.au/index.htm

Adrian,

Do you know that he can't afford classes of books? Because I never see him respond when it is suggested that he read the manuals...... And even so, if he has access to the development environment then he has access to Help and documentation. You know what....If there was a way for us to verify his 'dire' circumstances, I would be willing to try and raise the money required to buy him a developer's handbook.

I usually try to find the positive spin on these situations, but when it has been suggested to him to give us an idea of what he has done to try to find the solution, or, when he doesn't respond to suggestions for RTM - read the manual, then all we can do is assume he is too lazy to respond to the list - and therefore, too lazy to find the information on his own. I would love to 'teach him to fish', it just seems like he is borrowing our fishing pole, borrowing our bait, having us bait the hook for him, taking him out in our boat, and drinking our beer! And that's just crossing the line. :)

Ben again

Hi Ben,
I don't really know; this is what he said when he contacted me through my personal email address.
And I don't have a way to verify his 'dire' circumstances either. I'll let him read the netiquette, at least once, and take responsibility for his actions.
Thank you and Alex for sharing different perspectives; warm regards,

Back