BSSV using REST in JDE

karthik9891

We are building a mobile application in dot net for interoperability with JDE. Does JDE support REST for web services to interact with third party applications? If my understanding is right, I believe we have published business services to accomplish this, but that uses SOAP and there is AIS server which supports REST but that's within JDE I believe.

Just wondering if it's possible to develop business services in JDE that uses REST (including authenticating of E1 users) to interact with third party applications (mobile application built on dot net)

BSSV's are only available as SOAP. You can develop rest services using AIS if you have a fairly current tools release (I think it was 9.1.4.7 but it could have been 9.1.5.1 when this was released). Alternatively there are third party solutions that enable REST services to be exposed from JDE.

Hello Russell,

Thanks for your response. Do you mean to say JDE by default provides REST to interact with custom mobile applications (third party mobile applications) built on dot net?

AIS, which is a JDE component, provides a means to define and publish REST services that could be consumed by a .NET app or anything else that can consume REST services.

I was under the impression that AIS will only mimic the actually E1 applications and that BSFN and Table IO are not possible.

I was under the impression that AIS will only mimic the actually E1 applications and that BSFN and Table IO are not possible.

Correct, AIS is effectively a screen scrapper for the web instance. So to query you would need to load the appropriate app and populate the grid. But the original question was can you create a business service in JDE that is accessed via REST and the answer is technically you can but only with AIS.

I like our method better but then I'm biased.

Hello RussellCodlin / nkuebelbeck ,

So my understanding is that we can create business service that can be accessed via REST in JDE but it needs to run on AIS server rather than BSSV. If so, how would authentication stuff works if we go with business services that are accessed via REST? In case of business services that operates over SOAP, we jus pass the credentials in the SOAP header to authenticate E1 users.

Please let me know if I'm wrong or missing something.

BSSV(Business Services): Business Services server (BSFN/TABLEIO) - uses SOAP
AIS: AIS Server-(NO BSFN or TABLEIO) - uses REST

no flip flopping

Hello RussellCodlin / nkuebelbeck ,

So my understanding is that we can create business service that can be accessed via REST in JDE but it needs to run on AIS server rather than BSSV. If so, how would authentication stuff works if we go with business services that are accessed via REST? In case of business services that operates over SOAP, we jus pass the credentials in the SOAP header to authenticate E1 users.

Please let me know if I'm wrong or missing something.

Have a look at the AIS documentation which shows which services are available. https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24705_01/doc.91/e56635/config_ais_calls.htm#EOTMD140

So for example, a login to the AIS server would involve a POST to http://ais.example.com/jderest/tokenrequest and the JSON payload would be in the format:
{
"username":"jde",
"password":"jde",
"deviceName":"RESTclient",
"environment":"JDV910",
"role":"*ALL"
}

Just be aware that a service in AIS and a service in BSSV are two very different things which is what nkuebelbeck has been pointing out. A BSSV service effectively wraps up JDE business functions and/or table IO so that these can be exposed through SOAP. AIS instead effectively provides a method to develop an API to interact with the programs and forms within JDE.

Both methods have their pluses and minuses.

Back