Bill of material lead time offsets

Kevin Reker

Is anyone out there using bill of material lead time offsets in JDE 8.12? If so here is our issue we are dealing with. It appears as though lead time offsets on parts are not accounted for on the planning side. For example. Consider this BOM,

Part A (stock type M)
.Part B (stock type M, LT offset +2)
..Part C (stock type M, LT offset +3)
...Part D (stock type P, LT offset -2)

First off, we are using fixed lead time. Now, when sales order demand is in the system for part A, the planning side appears to calculate the due date for part D with the lead time offset for part D but not for part C and B. Thus, when the work order for C is actually cut the due date for raw material D shifts. Then, again when the work order for B is actually cut the due date for raw material D shifts again.

Although the lead time offsets are very beneficial in timing raw material and subassemblies on the shop floor they also appear to be creating a lot of noise on the planning side. Does anyone know of a way for the planning side to account for the offsets of B and C prior to those work orders being cut? This is a big deal for our company and would help a ton! One final note is I do see a SAR 8259148 that appears to discuss this and that we do not have in our system but I'm not sure if it is exactly the same situation. Thanks!

I have used lead time off set on many occasions on BOM's in XE. Don't forget a positive lead time offset will calculate for the parts request date AFTER the parent WO start date; likewise for a negative offset value for the part to arrive BEFORE the parent work order start date. Typicaly positive lead time offsets are used when the parent WO is of a long duration and you don't want the parts to arrive when the WO starts.
Also, the offsets are there to assist MRP in calculating reuesting dates through the BOM structure. When you process your WO's for A,B and C with different start/request dates I would expect part D the request dates to shift. HAve you considered using the freeze flag on the WO header?- MRP will not replan the WO dates. Also, you may consider using manufacturing safety lead-time on the MPS/MRP R3482/3 processing option. I hope this helps.

Back