Barcodes on AS400

JMR

VIP Member
Does anyone know the relationship that exists between a UBE running on the AS400 and output that gets generated in the .PDF?

Specifically, in terms of code pages (EBCDIC vs. ASCII)?

I am trying to print Code128 barcodes from an iSeries. Here is what I have:
- I am using fonts from Azalea
- I have duplicated their sample code to produce valid barcodes when run locally (windows platform)
- Our output is only required on PDF's (no label printing yet)
- The fonts have been installed on the IFS at /b7333sys/RESOURCE/truetype/
- we have another barcode font (Code 39) that works on both platforms just fine (however, the Code128 is much more complex in that is requires certain vendor-specific control codes and also has 3 character sets)
- When I view the actual hex values of the generated barcode string and compare the 2 platforms, I see they are the same.

As the UBE runs, is the output converted to ASCII and then 'imaged' onto the PDF?

I would have thought that as long the input to the font had the same hex values (irregardless of platform), the output should work.

So is anyone printing Code128 barcodes from an AS400?

Thanks!

The problem is the font is most likely not installed on the printed connected to the AS/400. We had to buy a separate memory stick to get this working. The stick is then connected to the printer permanently. There are a few companies that do this. Here is one of them.

http://capellatech.com/pages/2.4.0.barcode_printing.html

When you open the PDF with adobe and then print it to the same printer is works because the font information is also sent.

When submit the UBE to batch and the print out is sent directly to the printer and never opened in Adobe then the printer only gets the font name (not the font information). If the font is not in the printer memory (library) like 3of9 then the bar code will not print. I might be off on the real technical reasons but above is the basic reason why it is not working for you.

Rob

Back