Bar Codes in UBEs

jcbassett

We have the need to print Code 128 bar codes in a JDE UBE, not within Create Forms, DSI, etc. Our platform is Sun/Oracle with a single Intel batch server. The printers are primarily using PCL, although a few are Postscript capable.

We have purchased the Intel Truetype and Postscript fonts from Rivers Edge. These work fine from a PC using the Truetype font. We also have purchased the Unix Postscript (Postscript Type 1 & Postscript Type 3) fonts from the same source. I think that we should have purchased the UNIX/DOS HP PCL (PCL Softfonts).

We could use some advice on the proper approach.

John

Not sure which release you're on, but to use your TrueType fonts in E1, put a copy of the TTF file in your client PC's <drive:>\E812\system\Resource\truetype directory (or whatever version you're using).

On the batch job server, there should be an analogous directory where you must also put a copy of the TTF file.

In both cases, you'll find a file called AdobeFnt06.lst. This needs to be deleted (or renamed), and should be recreated when you run a UBE. This file catalogs the fonts in that directory, and after it's recreated, the new fonts should now be available to print in E1.

You will still have to install the font normally in Windows so you can view it in report designer.

We're on 8.11 SP2. The Unix fonts did not come with the ttf files, but the Intel fonts did. I was thinking about putting them in the resources folder on the Sun box as the JDE doc indicates, but Rivers Edge documentation implied that they are OS specific. Thanks for the tips on the AdobeFnt06.lst file. We did install the Intel fonts on the local PC, which works in RDA.

I'm sorry, I thought the "single Intel batch server" would be where you were running the UBE. My fault for assuming it was Windows.

Whereever you are running the UBE, that would be the platform where your TTF file needs to be. They need to be TTF fonts, not PCL soft fonts. I forgot that PostScript fonts aren't supported in 8.9 and above due to Unicode.

One final thought, you should place a copy of the font file in the Resource directory of the Deployment Server too, and do a package build that compresses the foundation. That way, whenever you install a full package to a workstation, it will include the font file, and you won't have to remember to copy it all the time. Put an updated AdobeFnt06.lst there too, or delete it, before the compression.

Thank you for the information. Do you know where we can get Code128 Truetype fonts for Sun/Unix? We are going to try the Intel ones from Rivers Edge, but their technical support is not so responsive and we would like to find a better vendor.

If you are printing to PCL, you need both the ttf (for rda) and the PCL softfont (for the printer), and then you need to setup an association between the two using the Barcode font app off menu GH9013.

We want to stick with PCL because all of the printing is in PCL. Ken mentioned that we do not need PCL Softfonts on Unix, but based on information from River's Edge, I think we do. An additional issue is getting the DSI guns to see the font. They work with code 39 just fine, but not code128. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Back