• JDELIST is celebrating its 20 year anniversary today!
  • Introducing Dark Mode! Switch by clicking on the lightbulb icon next to Search or by clicking on Default style at the bottom left of the page!

Automatically moving queued jobs

johndanter

Legendary Poster
Hi List,

I have a tricky one in that every now and again our warehouse jobs for R46171 are queued behind one another.
We currently have 2 warehouses in E1 but they all use the same versions of R46171. (We plan to have more E1 sites soon)

I know R46171 etc should be running in a single threaded queue to avoid contention etc and that's understood and fine. But I can't see any reason why 2 warehouses could run on their own queue independently of one another.

Now I have proposed a new queue and separate versions, but this goes against our global model of low numbers of E1 UBE versions/menus. We rely on row security to pick the correct records.

So.........

I'm about to propose a different solution:-

* In WSJ there is a row Exit to enable to switch the job queue if the job is at W status.

* Create a spare 'standby queue'

* Leave the versions as they are.

* Develop a UBE that checks F986110 for jobs queued for a defined time and calls the same logic. (it uses BSFN B9861106 ChangeJobQueue)
Rely on the USER ID to get the branch/warehouse of the user who submitted the queued job and move it to the spare standby queue if it's been waiting a long time.
This will move the queued jobs of a specific warehouse B off the busy queue onto the standby queue.

* If all is fine and jobs are not queued, then the system behaves as normal.

Can anyone think of any issues with this? I am on Unix btw, not the 400

Or....Is there another way to skin this cat?

Thanks

John

johndanter

Legendary Poster
We have a zero mod policy so sometimes I'm a little stuck on my suggestions.

One I have managed to get working is a slight mod to P98305W form D. A worktable on OBNM VERS and MCU checks the submitted job for a match and then moves the job to the queue specified.

Only way this was entertained is I got it down to 2 lines of code. Call my new screen, come back and click cancel.

I'll suggest a trigger as that gets all submissions, not just user ones