Attachments

David Robertson

David Robertson

Reputable Poster
G-day List :)

I have a simple find/browse screen, with text attachments, and a print submission button as exits. This all works fine.

The problem I have is trying to add a procesing option to block the Attachments button (Certain users can print, but are not allowed to change the text attachment). As this comes in automagically when you send up the GT template etc, there is nowhere to add logic to disable the button.

Not a critical problem, I'm just curious if anyone has a solution.

Thanks.

David,
At first, what is your system configuration, mainly your OneWorld release level.
Currently I can not check vesion(s) erlier then B7331. If you have B7331 or later then there is solution for your problem.

1.) You can handle Enabling/Disabling Attachment functionality in the Event Rules of your application using FDA (Form Design Aid).

2.) You can Enable/Disable the Attachment row exit using system functions (Control category) based on your PO setting or cheking the SL User system variable.

3.) You can also Enable/Disable the Attachment row exit, setting it on the Exit Properties sheet of this Menu/Toolbar Exit.

4.) You can also add your logic to the Event Rules of the ButtonClicked event of the mentioned Row Exit.

5.) You should have to examine the Event Rules of the "Double Click on Row Header" event of the grid if you set up the grid to be visible the row header and you have added logic to bring up attachment on this event. Add your logic here too or turn of Row Header for your grid.

At last but not least you can apply Hyper Exit Security on the Attachment row exit in the Security Workbench choosing the Exit security.

As I usually say, try it (them) and let us know your results.
(... and do no forget to tell a short tale for us about your system configuration ;-)
Thanks,
Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

We have something similar. What we did is create UDC tables to define the
users that have access to a given set of attachments. Those users not
listed in the table have "Read-Only" access.

Hope this helps!

Michelle Dulay
ERP Coordinator
BFGoodrich Aerospace
Chandler Evans Control Systems
email: [email protected]

OneWorld B7322 with the MFG Mini-Cum, coexistent with World A7.3
AS400 V4R3 Enterprise Server
Windows NT SQL V6.5 Deployment Server
SynQuest V5.07.02
Oracle
NT Logic - between AS400 (OneWorld) and HP9000 (SynQuest)

Zoltan,
thanks for your reply. I can understand most of what you said, and that what I initially thought to do.

To answer your question:
I am running B7332 sp7_obj, connected to an AS/400, NOT coexistence. I believe Central Objects are on a seperate server, which I suspect is MS SQL Server. I am not heavily involved in the CNC side of things at this site, so I don't know the exact details, although I could find out if needed.

In reply to your suggestions:
1.) Enabling/Disabling Attachment functionality in FDA does not have any event rules, so it is either on, or it is off. I could create a copy of the appl with this turned off.

2.) When I choose the system function to Disable Control, the Attachment button is not available as a selection.

3.) In the Menu/Toolbar Exit window, the is no attachment button displayed, so I can't disable it or attach logic.

4.) Again, then is no exit displayed to attach logic to.

5.) I examined the Double Click on Row Header event. There is no logic attached here. Bringing up the attachment on this event is automatic, defined in the Media Objects Setup option.

6.) Security Workbench should work. Assuming I get the option to choose the Attachments exit. It suites the business better to simply be able to have 2 versions with a processing option.

Many thanks,
David

=============================================
David,
There are two possible ways to solve this.
1) Manually create the Attachments button and add the logic behind it to go
to Attachments. I have not done this for several versions - but we had to
do this before the Media Objects command was available in FDA. If you
choose to go this direction, I can look up my old notes and try to get you
instructions. This is not a pretty method since you have to take into
account all actions and write them explicitly in ER.

2) The JDE preferred method is to set up the Find/Browse form with Media
Object Attachments as Read Only and set up your 'xx Detail' form (be it
Fix/Inspect or Header(less)/Detail) as the editable Media Object.

ok, ok this is a remote possibility.
3) I have also set up an embedded media object which you can enable/disable
in the ER. Let me know if you go with one of these options. \

Ben (again)
=============================================

Thanks for the reply Ben.
I would prefer to use your suggestion 2) above, but there is no 'xx Detail' form. Actually, there is one, but it is in add mode only. The option to add text and print is only from this grid.

I may try your option 1), as the add form actually does a manual call to the media objects anyway, so I could program the same thing in the find/browse form. Trouble is I'm running out of time, and it is a low priority, even if more interesting than my high priorities.
Thanks.
David

David,

Tell the truth, I have never used Media Objects until now but I have met with Media handling many times when I investigated OneWorld applications and found that the original OW applications coded directly the Media Objects handling on the Attachment exit and in DoubleClickRowHeader grid event.
This time I invesigated P01012 Address Book application for you under B7331 which handles Madia Object the same way. So, I hope you understand, I totally forgot the "Automatic Media Object Functionality".
Yes, this setting is the case why haven't you seen Attachment row exit and logic in DoubleClickRowHeader grid event.

Now, you have several way to resolve your problem, considering turn off Automatic Functionality and add your logic to the Form and/or use the Security Workbench.

If your needs is only to secure the Attachment then I suppose that the Security could be the native solution. If you have a bit more complex logic on Media handling then you can choose the "turned off" Automatic feature and code your special logic.

Good luck,
Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Just to update the status of this post.
As the add form actually does a manual call to a window to display the media objects (text) anyway, I have programmed a row exit to this same screen, and removed the automatic media objects template, from the find/browse. I am then able to attach ER logic to the find/browse to disable the button.

The problem still exists, and I'd be interested in any solutions, when the form has the automatic media objects selected, how you can selectively disable it.

Back