Associated description

isb

Hi all,

I am using a group section in UBE. I want associated
description to be printed for UDC values which I take
directly from a table. My users run report always in local
language but description sometimes is printed in local
language, sometimes in English. How it can be fixed?

Does anybody have a solution?

Ivan

B733.2 SP13.3
---
Get your free e-mail address at http://www.zmail.ru

Hi Ivan,
Where is your UBE running, on server or on workstation?
Do you noticed this symptom for the same UDC value for the same user on the same workstation?
Does your UDCs replicated? If yes then revise your replication.
How do you retrieve the UDC description, with Table I/O or via a BSFN call?
Anyway, you can revise the OCM mappings for F0004 and F0005 tables.
If you will provide us with a bit detailed information about your issue/situation then hopefully will receive more suggestions.
Good luck,
Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Excuse me, I have forgotten something.
Revise the OCM mappings for F0004D and for F0005D too.
If you will answer on the List/Forum then please, describe your mappings for these 4 tables too.
Thanks & excuse me again.
Zoltán

Ivan,

I agree with Zoltan that the most likely culprit here is where you are accessing the UDC tables. If you are running UDC's locally, then chances are that your workstation UDC tables are out of sync with what is in the main database.

IF YOU ARE RUNNING THE UBE LOCALLY:
UDC's are stored in the F0004 and F0005 tables. Translations are stored in the F0004D and F0005D. First, check where your OCM is pointing for all 4 tables. They should be pointing to the same location. If they are pointing to a OneWorld Local database, open the access database on the workstation having the problem and make sure that all 4 tables exist in it. It is quite common for the F0004D and F0005D tables to be missing, in which case OneWorld will retrieve the English version from the F0004 and F0005.

Your choices are to rebuild and deploy an Access database containing all 4 tables OR change the OCM map to use the central database. Discuss with you CNC administrator these possibilities.

If you check the local database and find that all 4 tables do exist, then: 1) Open the F0004D and F0005D to make sure they are populated. You might also do a record count comparison with the central database tables. 2) Make sure your F0004D and F0005D local tables are 100% current. If languages were loaded on your system after you deployed your workstations OR users have been adding or changing "language" UDC values and descriptions, then the local tables are probably out of sync (unless you have OW replication set up). Again, have your CNC admin recreate and deploy the Access database.

IF YOU ARE RUNNING THE UBE ON THE SERVER:
1) Check the Server Map records for the F0004, F0004D, F0005, & F0005D tables for that server. There should be active records for these 4 tables pointing to the appropriate Control Tables datasource.

2) I'm not sure how the language is determined when you submit a job to the server. My guess is that it is sent based on the user's settings...so the user can expect the appropriate language results.

hope this helps :)

owguru (at least I'm trying :)
>all versions
>all platforms

I just want to thank to OWGURU this complete discussion of this issue.
He spent his time to discuss all possible scenario and its possible traps and provided detailed instructions how to investigate the problem in each situation and how to resolve it, without waiting to know more about Ivan's scenario.
...AND...
Eric,
Please, put this really valuable post onto the Tips & Traps board.
Thanks to both of you,
Zoltán

Go GURU Go! Zoldy gave you an Excellent. You have another from me: Eric, would you, please, add the UNION topic, too. Is this a moment we should vote for it or ... recount?
Thank you,
Adrian

LIVE: B732.1 SP12.2, Oracle 805
SANDBOX: XE SP3, 8i
RS/6000, Citrix, 200+ clients

Zoltan & Adrian,

YOU'VE MADE MY DAY!!! I made "journeyman" and got kudos all in one day...yippeeeeee.

p.s. Zoltan, "He" is a "She" :)

>all versions
>all platforms

Thanks a lot for all of you.

UBE is run locally in most cases and this symptom can be seen for the same user, for the same UDC value and for the same machine. I did not use BSFN or table I/O, I used just standard function – associate description which can be find under “Edit”-“Associate”-“Description”.
But after I have read your question and ideas I changed the approach and using BSFN it works much better. Thanks a lot again.

What does it mean – I chose the wrong way to retrieve UDC description or this functionality does not work correctly in JDE?

Ivan

B7332, SP13.3, Intel NT4, Oracle 815

I apologize for this mail, I just want to response OWGURU's question.
Me, Zoltán is he (man).
At last but not least, OWGURU, Congratulations to you for your promotion. Your posts are really always very valuable, exact and detailed.
Read you again ;-) (and again, and again, ...)
Zoltán
P.S.: Eric, would you count down this post from me?

Ivan,

As with everything in OneWorld, there is not "right" or "wrong" answer here. What works is right, what doesn't is wrong :)

Your original approach (edit, associate, description) would be my choice. For UDC fields in particular, this is what the designers had in mind...It's this easiest, most efficient way of doing it.

Table IO, using a handle!, would be the second choice since you can open the table once at the beginning of the ube, fetch during the ube, and close the table when the section ends. If you want your code to be as speedy as possible, create a business view containing only the key fields and the description field you are retrieving. Then create a dd item handle for this business view. By using Table IO with this handle, you will mirror what the engine is doing in the previous approach.

A business function will definitely add some overhead since it opens and closes the table every time you call it. The resulting performance may be acceptable or it may not...I believe every milisecond counts in OneWorld!

enjoy...

>all versions
>all platforms

zoltan,
i think OWGURU was saying that SHE was a WOMAN....not you. ;-)
dave

NT 4.0 SP5, SQL 7.0, One World B7321 SP12.4, Citrix

Thank you Dave for your correction.
My Engish again...
OWGURU, excuse me too that I misunderstood you.
... and I will keep me away in the future making dummy posts like this and the previous without valuable contents for the Forum/List but this time I felt that I have to respond.
I apologize to all.
Zoltán

Guys, you enforced me to send a dummy post again although I just promised that I won't do.
Yes, Adrian asked me privately that can he use this nickname.
Unfortunatley I haven't answerd him but my answer is Yes.
Although the most general nickname is Zoli for Zoltán in Hungary but I think Zoldy is better fits for English on the Forum. On the other hand I find it as kind.

AT LAST, let us (including me) keep this Forum for real issues. Although a little bit joke and kindly personal makes the Forum enjoyable for many of us but I am not sure that for ALL of us.
Eric, would you be so kind as to publish an etiquette for us? I am curious to your opninion.
Regards,
Zoldy ;-)

Back