AS400/iSeries Copy of Business Data

MagarG

MagarG

VIP Member
I was looking at the KG document - Solution ID 200783172 on creating a mirror image of CRP to PROD. In the business data copy section they mention to use R98403. Then they note the following:

Note: It is not advised to use the CPYF or CPYLIB AS/400 functionality as a shortcut to this process. The CPYF and CPYLIB functionality does not update specific support files (i.e. SYSTABLES) on the AS/400 that are needed for full OneWorld® functionality.

We are in coexistence and when we refresh PY we do a rstlib from tape. So far havn't had any issues.

Anyone know what they are talking about in the statement? SYSTABLES?

Thanks, Grant.

Grant,

For what its worth, we have been doing 'refreshes' from prod to other environments by doing save/restores for 5 years and have never seen any problems.

I do have a few caveates though: 1) We only refresh to a previously defined environment; 2) Our promotion process ensures that all files defined in production are defined in the target environment (this does require that we generate any tables that should be in the environment but are not in prod); 3) In the control tables we do copy files so we can exclude the menu files.

HTH

Tom

It is my understanding that the R98403 can break some of the shared tables in a co-existent environment. It changes the formatting of the table.
Exercise caution here.
Backups are a good thing.

Hi,

the easiest way to populate data between environments is SAVLIB/RESTLIB...

I did it dozens of time (once this week even)...WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM

just one thing to be sure of: be sure to have ALL PF saved (check the msg after SAVLIB) to be 150% you won't create on a same machine a LF that would be still linked to the PROD environment even if in another library...

Back