As/400 Upgrade

cli1010

Hello everybody

We have an old 820 AS/400 on V5R2 with JDE World + OneWorld in legacy mode (we need to keep it for 3 more years for audit purpose).

Since that piece of hardware is dying and cost me a fortune to keep it alive, we decided to buy a new 8203-E4A (smaller, rack mountable, supported, etc, etc).
The new one supports only V5R4 & up.
Unfortunately since all our JDE guys are not here anymore I've been voluntold :) to take care of this with my very limited knowledge of JDE.

IBM will come and install it then will do a backup/restore from the old one. So here are my questions:

1) How can I find out what version of World and OneWorld I have installed? I know is in a coexistence mode but Oracle Metalink is talking about version A7.3 CU 16 that is V5R4 compatible so how can I know what CU I am? I can see something like A7.3 000X3 on my menu so what that means?

2) By doing the backup from the old one (libraries, objects, etc, etc) and restore on the new one, should be that sufficient or there are other steps I should follow so I can have World up and running? Just to mention, I don't care about the OneWorld part since that won't be used even in legacy mode.

Thanks in advance for help

cli1010,

For World, type 97 from any menu to see your install history listing dates, times, release level, PTF level, etc. Your CU would be the highest numbered PTF level in the form 000nn.

You should go to the Knowledge area of Metalink (or whatever Oracle is calling it now) for more about what you need when you change hardware & operating systems. Search for V5R4 and JDE World. I THINK you'll need a new software protection code that you can generate from Oracle's site. There's a lot of information there. You could even open a case with Oracle for upgrade help.

I've done a couple of AS/400 upgrades with JDE World. My rcollection is that it is not as simple as backing up the libraries and restoring them on the new box. I believe you will first have to upgrade the 820 to V5R4 and then back it up. And if you are going to run a higher OS than V5R4 on the new box, there may be more to it than that. You most definitely want to get support from JDE on this upgrade, whether from the web site or the support team.

You’re definitely going to want to check with Oracle and make sure your not missing anything. If your sure you have not run any of the conversion process for non-coexistence applications in World to OneWorld XE then you’re probably OK but if you have you may have to revert back and/or reinstall XE for coexistence. Double check with Oracle.

If you’re upgrading to OS/400 V6R1 you’ll need to run IBM’s STROBJCVN as well as apply a few specific OS/400 PTF’s. On top of that you’ll need to apply a couple World updates, download the V6R1 Update Library and Initiate the CRTJDEV6L command.

There’s probably more but that’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

Michael
B7.1.4 through E1 9.0 as well as many World upgrades and coexistence installs in another life and a recent ending coexistence / XE to 9.0 upgrade on V6R1.

Thanks everybody for the answers.

That was my intial plan to upgrade the 820 first to V5R4 but IBM said that 820 doesn't support that OS version (strange !!!).

Unfrotunately we don't have support anymore with Oracle for JDE so opening a case is not an option. I did a search on their Knowledge base (we have access since our main ERP is Oralce eBusiness suite for which we have support) but couldn't find too much. Just a document saying that if we are at CU16 we should be OK.

Anyway our plan is to go to V5R4 whcih is the oldest version still supported by IBM and presents a minimum risk. V6R1 is not in scope and no future plans to do that (can't wait to get rid of this in 2-3 years from now :)

All I can do at this point is to cross my fingers and hope everything is OK after backup/restore :-(

dhashimura,

I tried option 97 but is not working. I get just a message at the bottom saying:

Device name QPADEV0010 not being copy

Thanks

Try HS for hidden selections from command entry while signed into World. That should point you in the right direction.

Michael

Thanks for replys

Option 97 is not working and in the HS is listed as below:

Operator Aids
System Operator Msgs - Sel 41
Display All Output - Sel 44
Display Print Writer - Sel 45
EOJ w/o Sign off - Sel 30
Secondary Job - Sel 98
Display Newsletter - Sel 95
Remote Passthru - Sel 84
Advanced Operations - Sel 27
Nordion Utilities Menu- Sel 29
<font color="red"> End Copy Screen - Sel 97 </font>
more. . .

I looked also in the T97300 and this is what I have. Should I assume I am at CU11?

*...+....1....+....
A7R3CUM5 A7.3
A7R3GOLIVEA7.3
A7R3INS A7.3
A7R3REF A7.3
A7R3REF2 A7.3
A7R3UPG A7.3
A7R3W1 A7.3
A7R3W1 A7.3
A73CUMW4 A7.3
A73CUMX2A A7.3
A73CUM11A A7.3
A73CUM11A A7.3
A73CUM8 A7.3
A73PTFX3P A7.3
A73SALES A7.3
A73SOCUM5 A7.3
A7311 A7.3
CUMX2P1 A7.3
CUMX2P1 A7.3
CUM11P1 A7.3
CUM11P1 A7.3
CUM11P1 A7.3
CUM11P1 A7.3
CUM11P1 A7.3

Thanks <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font>

To determine what version of world software you are on you can type the following command from any menu command and press enter: DSPJDELVL.

There is a hidden selection option, 97, that will show you the version upgrade levels you have done in the past. If you do not have this option or it does not work you can try calling this program from a menu command line: call J00INSHIS parm(' ' ' ').
Lastly from any menu you can type the hidden selection option 25 and under the right column of options it should show you JDE/400 xx.x where the xx.x is the release you are on.

I hope this helps some.
Jim Rubino
Fike Corporation

Your company must have customized option 97 because "End Copy Screen" has replaced "Install History Dsply".

I totally forgot about Jim Rubino's suggestion to use command DSPJDELVL. I have to disagree with him, though, on using option 25, because our CU was replaced by a PTF that was applied.

I'm confused about the contents of your T97300. Did you only select the first 2 fields? Try creating a WW selecting all of the fields. Then you probably won't need to guess at your CU level.

Lastly, please do search for the IBM Upgrade topics such as V5R4, iSeries upgrade, MTR, X0001M, etc. type documents on Oracle's site. There are steps to perform before JDE will work properly on a new box and/or OS.

Thanks everybody for resposnses.

We just did the upgrade this week and everything went smoothly. We installed the new AS/400 V5R4, did a full backup from the old one and restore it on the new one.

I had only 2 minor issues:

- generate a new SPC code so I can access the application (that was easy since Oracle offers the SPC self generator web tool for that).

- I have a third party tool NGS IQ/400 for which I need also a new license. Unfortunatelly we don't have support and I couldn't find any way to hack it :). Fortunatelly it's not used anymore as far as I know. Anyway ff anybody is familiar with the product and has any suggestion for this that would be great.

C

In searching the forums for some RDp info and came across this thread. I am totally amazed in reading it.

dhashimura - you voice contempt for the "old" AS400 and can hardly wait until you 'get rid' of it. Yet, with absolutely no knowledge of the system or the applications you are running on it and without JDE support you were able to successfully upgrade the machine and it's software too a new version . . . single handedly!
shocked.gif

Nasty machine that AS/400 . . . I hope you have such luck on whatever valued machine you are moving too
ooo.gif

Back