AS/400 journalling and Xe

CHo

VIP Member
Hi. We are doing a Xe upgrade on our test system.

For one of the table conversion program, R98407, the jde.log is complaining that it can't execute the command CALL STRJOURNAL.

I'm reading a doc from KG talking about AS/400 journalling for B7331 and B7332. It talks about STRJOURNAL as a stored procedure for AS/400 which will be shipped with OW. Where can I find this STRJOURNAL to install it?

Does that mean that we need to start journalling on AS/400? We are concern with the decrease in performance if we do it.

Does anyone have any documentation talking about AS/400 journalling and OneWorld? Thanks.

C Ho

Intermediate Programmer/Analyst
Dundee Realty
B7322 SP 12.4
AS/400 coexistant with SQL Server 7.0
Sandbox: installing Xe

I have few documents from JDE on this journaling issues. Please send me your e-mail address and I will forwarding these docs to you.

David
[email protected]

Xe SP13, Enterprise server-AS400 V4R4, Deployment Server-NT4.0, JAS server-NT 4.0

Response line and I don't know why STRJOURNAL is being called during the table conversion portion of the Xe upgrade. We ignored it and went on.

After Xe is installed, it will automatically start journalling. STRJOURNAL is installed as part of the upgrade.

C Ho
B7322 SP 12.4
Sandbox: Xe AS/400 coexistant with CO on SQL 7.0

ok.

I worked with JDE developer on this journaling issues recently. The JDE XE applications is turning on journaling automatically and it is even journal the central object files in central object library. The developer cannot tell me why JDE is journaling the files on IBM AS/400 but he did tell me if I am concerning the full package builds performance I can end the journal (ENDJRNPF) files before I start. Also, I can end the journal files and re-start the journal in our custom library such as the F4201 and F4211 files.

Again JDE software is doing something and there are few documents talk about it and no technical support peoples even know what is this journaling about!!!!

David

Xe SP13, Enterprise server-AS400 V4R4, Deployment Server-NT4.0, JAS server-NT 4.0

The problem is that the docs on KG (breaking news and how-tos) are written by response line consultants. These people have little field experience.

I'm wondering if GATS (Global Advanced Technology Services) would know what this journalling stuff is about, but they cost $$$.

David, I'm assuming that your central objects are on AS/400. Why it would journal BLOB files?

C Ho
B7322 SP 12.4
Sandbox: Xe AS/400 coexistant with CO on SQL 7.0

I am sure others will answer this, but you need journaling on the AS/400 do
commitment control on the AS/400. Commitment control ensures that, if you
are updating several files within one application, they won't be written
until all files are able to be updated (avoiding one file updating, but four
not updating if problems exist with the records). Personally, if you have
users in OW, I would not turn off journaling.

We are implementing Xe, Sp13 on V4R5 AS/400. So far, we've only done one
full package build (in December at installation), so I cannot give you any
info on our package build times. Update packages go pretty fast, depending
on the number of objects, of course.

Hope this helps some.

Xe, ES=AS/400 V4R5, CO=AS/400, Deployment=AS/400 INS Card, Thick & Citrix Clients

David,

Could you please forward the journaling documents to my email address also? I would like to see if they are the same as I already have from JDE.

Thanks,

Steve Gibson
[email protected]

Steven M. Gibson

Back