AS/400 Connections (QZDASOINIT jobs) run at High Percentage

DMiller

Hi List -
Has anyone seen the QZDASOINIT (OneWorld connection) jobs run on the AS/400 at a CPU usage of over 50%? I have 3 other instances of OneWorld (all different versions) and have never seen them get so high.
In attempt to fix this... I applied the latest and greatest cumulative PTF and database PTF from IBM and also put on the latest Service Pack 21 with one-off 21_H1 but that didn't seem to help either.
I am at a loss with what is going on here... any advice or guidance is appreciated! I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this happen out there and if it's semi-normal or how you fixed it.
Thanks!

It has been a few years ago, but if I remember right, what you need to
do is to trap the SQL statement through the client access debugger or
through JDE debug log and then paste that into some performance tool
(Showcase, Ops Nav, Centerfield, etc.). This will tell you how good or
bad your SQL statement is. Could be the result of mods or data changes
or been there all along or something else. When we used to get these
(1998, 1999) it was almost always due to data issues that got resolved
by adding a better index.

Dan

Dan Doenges
Dir of Technical Services
Department 56, Inc.
6436 City West Parkway
Eden Prairie, MN 55344
Office: 952 943-4467
Mobile: 952 240-0967

OW 7321, SP 12.5, coexistant, ES 400 V4R5, DS NT

Diane,

What version of OS/400 are you running?

Regards,

Mike Shaw

iSeries Model 830
iSeries Model 270 (Development)

Re: RE: AS/400 Connections (QZDASOINIT jobs) run at High Percentage

Sorry - I thought I had it in there. We are running O/S V5R1.

Diane,

Do the QZDASOINIT jobs all run the same on each of your instances? In other words, do they run at 50% and above regardless of version? What model AS/400 are you running? How many processors? How much memory? Are your QZDASOINIT jobs running in *BASE or a Shared Pool?
What's the memory allocation across the POOLS? Lastly when was the last time your QZDASOINIT jobs ran in a normal fashion? What's changed since then?

Darrell Allison
Systems Programmer
AS/400 V4R5 9406-730 8-Way / OneWorld B7332 SP11.3

We've had a similar problem to this in the past and it's been due to workstations crashing (either ctx sessions or FAT clients) due to a resourcing/application error (or sometimes users powering off their machines abnormally). You may find that the QZDASOINIT jobs keep going even after the session has ended from the users perspective. The way we resolved it was by identifying the user from the QZDASOINIT job and finding out what they were doing at the time. Quite often they were doing a search on F42119, gave up and powered their machine off, leaving the job still running on the server.

Dianne,

Are you co-existing with World?

I have seen in the past that with co-existence installs, where the indices for the OneWorld are created at 1 TerraByte access paths and the World table and indices are at 4 GB. This causes a high degree of maint. that usually results in high QZDASOINIT CPU utilization.

Also, you may want to run DBMon to determine if you are attempting to access the data in a way that forces the AS/400 (oops, iSeries) to create temporary indexes, which also causes high utilization on the QZDASOINIT jobs.

Andy

I had that problem before.
We end up downgrading one of the FAT clients IBM Client Access Sw to V4R4, we ran the same report and it worked !
I heard from JDE that some IBM Client Access service paqs are not compatible with JDE SQL PKgs and that causes the problem.
We tried to upgrade to the latest V5R1 SP but it did't work. Now we have the AS400 running on V5R1 and FAT Clients CA on V4R4.

We are waiting to upgrade to V5R2 to solve this problem

We've been running with the V5R2 clients on V4R5 for the last 6 months
and have had no problems.

Dan

Dan Doenges
Dir of Technical Services
Department 56, Inc.
6436 City West Parkway
Eden Prairie, MN 55344
Office: 952 943-4467
Mobile: 952 240-0967

OW 7321, SP 12.5, coexistant, ES 400 V4R5, DS NT